Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

ASkiles's Low '23 Build

I'm really digging the mock up. Cleavelands rule! Are you going to run those deep offset front wheels? Looks like the drag link will get into the tire pretty easy, could be the camera angle. I have plans to use a mustang 8.8 with 3.08 gears in my project. The downside to the 8.8 is as you mentioned is the extra offset. Not sure if I will shorten the long side or not. Your project is looking good. I will be getting plenty of inspiration next week as the street rod nationals come to town.

I'm really digging the mock up. Cleavelands rule! Are you going to run those deep offset front wheels? Looks like the drag link will get into the tire pretty easy, could be the camera angle. I have plans to use a mustang 8.8 with 3.08 gears in my project. The downside to the 8.8 is as you mentioned is the extra offset. Not sure if I will shorten the long side or not. Your project is looking good. I will be getting plenty of inspiration next week as the street rod nationals come to town.

It is a good thing I went with a 17" wheel, because the cross link just barely clears the wheels! That worked to my favor I guess! I plan on running these wheels, probably just powdercoated flat black though...just like everything else. I like that the wheels and tires will be all the same, so I can actually rotate them. I was never into the skinny front, fat rear tires kinda thing. To each their own though! Hopefully I can get back into the garage over the next couple of days and have me a roller!

-Andy

I like the wheel choice. Even if you don't coat them black they will have a nice contrast with a lot of other black on the car. Sitting level or with a slight forward rake and able to step into the bucket is a good plan. I'm planning on a windsor in mine but I think cleavelands are a geat engine when properly built. You got plans for big horsepower/torque ?

No big HP...just enough. LOL It is a 351C w/ Boss heads, stock cam profile, and forged internals. I have no clue what the HP numbers will be, but it will be enough for me for now. Once I get used to the car, then I can look at some big HP options to it since it is already forged. Maybe a supercharger??!?!

-Andy

No big HP...just enough. LOL It is a 351C w/ Boss heads, stock cam profile, and forged internals. I have no clue what the HP numbers will be, but it will be enough for me for now. Once I get used to the car, then I can look at some big HP options to it since it is already forged. Maybe a supercharger??!?!

-Andy

So last night, I got my rear spring mounted, and I now have a full roller!!! The original plan for the rear spring did not quite work as expected, so I fabbed some temporary mounting brackets on the spot, so I could get the car on it's own, and then measure up and design the actual mounting backets. Now I just need to figure out how to mount the rear shocks. Any suggestions? Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

-Andy

Attachments

• 7-27-11 - 2.jpg
    7-27-11 - 2.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 126
Congrats on reaching the roller stage! :kiltdance: I like the rims you're using. I'm a "big and little" tire/wheel guy, but that setup looks great. From what I've heard, that size all around helps traction in turns. Like saloms.

Congrats on reaching the roller stage! :kiltdance: I like the rims you're using. I'm a "big and little" tire/wheel guy, but that setup looks great. From what I've heard, that size all around helps traction in turns. Like saloms.

Thanks! I don't see road racing this beast, but you never know?!?! It should handle fairly well. Low center of gravity and plenty of traction.

-Andy

Did not get much done over the weekend...pretty much a party weekend. LOL Buttoned up the engine, or almost did. Broke off a tap in the rear most valve cover bolt hole. Oops! Got the steering box and drag link set up. Swapped out my radius rods for the hairpin style. Got the brake master cylinder mounted, brake pedal bent to my liking, and now I can start getting the brake lines/fittings together. Anyways...more updates to come...

-Andy

Finished up the rear end bracketry and welding last night, and welded up the upper shock mounts in the rear.

-Andy

gallery_5410_245_1382.jpg

gallery_5410_245_64222.jpg

gallery_5410_245_32789.jpg

gallery_5410_245_49798.jpg

Looks great will you be using that style tire and rim set up?

Looks great will you be using that style tire and rim set up?

Those are the wheels I will be using. As far as tires, I will use the same size, but will need to replace those tires...they are almost gone! They are 245-55-17's...I think.

-Andy

5" to the bottom of the frame rails! Now that is what I'm talking 'bout!

-Andy

This looks great Mate. I posted a little while back about the lack of foot room at the mock up stage with a taller transmission. How are you looking with the AOD trans?
I assume this is a standard length body.
Cheers
Tony

You were right it does look better with those radius rods on it.
gallery_5410_245_1382.jpg

Thanks Ron! I really thought so. Plus it brought the front end to a better caster angle. With as low as it was, even though the radius rods were mounted so high on the chassis, it still had a big caster angle.

-Andy

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back