Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Greg’s T project

Houch

I used to be into muscle cars and drag racing but have been out of it for over 25 years. I've never had what I'd consider a traditional hot rod but have always wanted one.

I recently ordered an extended 23T kit from Spirit without the bed (going for the bobber look). I ordered it with opening doors because I'm 6’1 and will be 66 next month and I plan on during the heck out of this thing for many years. I won't be taking delivery of it until after the first of the year. I have to get my barn/shop finished first (wiring, lights, insulation).

Started collecting parts. Plan on running 3 diced so I've already acquired 7 carbs to build my 3 from. This weekend I purchased a 327 out of a 68 Corvette. It needs to be rebuilt. Probably could have gone a cheaper route with a crate motor but needed 86 or earlier heads to run the 3 duce manifold. The heads on this motor don't have accessory holes either which I think adds to the look I'm after.

Attachments

• IMG_7985.jpeg
    IMG_7985.jpeg
    170.7 KB · Views: 46
Sounds like a really cool build coming up, Houch. The 327 is probably my favorite small block, and I still recall the great sound coming from the uncorked headers on my friend's 350 HP 327 in his '67 Nova. Pure ear candy!

Welcome to the forum from Oklahoma !

Welcome from another Okie! I have a stretched Spirit body for my project. I think you will be happy with your choice. Do they offer 2 opening doors on the ‘23? I am making body with 2 opening doors. I’m not tall but I have mobility issues and I’m 78!

Welcome from another Okie! I have a stretched Spirit body for my project. I think you will be happy with your choice. Do they offer 2 opening doors on the ‘23? I am making body with 2 opening doors. I’m not tall but I have mobility issues and I’m 78!
Yes, they have a body with both doors that open. Probably could have done it myself but it was an option so I went with it.

I converted my driver's side to an opening door. The passenger's side already had an opening door. I also widened both doors 4 inches.

I have almost the whole side opening on mine. Got the door cut but I haven’t glassed in the floor yet so hinges are subject to change! Lol

I cut both doors in mine. I reinforced the body by adding steel to the underside and constructing rocker boxes along with a plywood and fiberglass floor. The steel connects to a cowl cage that reinforces the door jambs in front and the windshield posts. There are also steel reinforcements at the rear door posts that are enclosed in fiberglass. They are connected to the rocker reinforcements via mid body mount bolts. The rocker reinforcements also connect to steel reinforcements that cross at the kick up and connect to the frame via rear body mount bolts. It is designed so it bolts to the frame in six spots where the body is mounted. My intention was to prevent the windshield from flexing and provide solid door openings so they fit and operated properly as well as provide rigidity in case someone used them as mobility aids, lol... I also wanted to make the car as safe as possible, within reason. I plan to add a hoop behind the tub also. The door and related structure construction became very time consuming. The doors and openings were first reinforced by carving old growth oak to fit around the edges, fiberglassing it in and reinforcing the actual door skins. The steel supports were added fore and aft opening, then I cut them out. I tried very hard to construct them so they held their shape and would be properly functional. Between that and redesigning the steering and clutch/brake systems and shifter, the bucket became a major project. I chose to make and or reconstruct every single part except the steering box and mount, which I bought from RPM, and various connectors and steering joints, because there weren’t any suitable parts available, that I liked. The joys of trying to take a late ‘70’s mystery machine and bring it into the modern era. It will be different than any others and very well suited to comfortable and as safe as possible operation. Doors are a major PITA!

Great work, Fletch. Can't wait to see your "project" on the road! For another look at doors in T-buckets, check out Cooter's build thread on this site. Here's a link:

cooters T bucket build | Page 93 | T-Bucket Forums (tbucketeer.com)
I remember watching his build. I used very similar technique on mine except I used steel and a rocker panel to reinforce. Mine is close. Both doors are hinged and latches fitted, I’m not crazy about the hinges so that may be a revision. I still need to glass the inside of the doors and add provisions for speakers, and finish the jambs. It’s been a while since I worked on it. It will take some motivation to get back to it. If I get caught up on everything else, I need to get back to it and post some current activity.

Last edited:
Still waiting on my kit from Spirit, couple of front suspension parts on back order. Been doing a lot of building in my head though. Changed my mind on color. Going with what TCP Global calls Light Aqua with a light tan interior. Also came up with a name for it. A cartoon character from my youth, Gumby. Even ordered some cool license plate toppers I plan on painting up to match him.

Attachments

• IMG_8300.jpeg
    IMG_8300.jpeg
    79.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_8349.png
    IMG_8349.png
    747.4 KB · Views: 17
Still waiting on my kit from Spirit, couple of front suspension parts on back order. Been doing a lot of building in my head though. Changed my mind on color. Going with what TCP Global calls Light Aqua with a light tan interior. Also came up with a name for it. A cartoon character from my youth, Gumby. Even ordered some cool license plate toppers I plan on painting up to match him.

Attachments

• IMG_8350.png
    IMG_8350.png
    235.3 KB · Views: 17
Still waiting on back-ordered part before picking up my kit, but still collecting parts. Got my intake.

Attachments

• IMG_8394.jpeg
    IMG_8394.jpeg
    52.9 KB · Views: 20

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back