Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

ASkiles's Low '23 Build

askiles

So the theme of this car is going to be low, and simple. I just want a nice low cruiser, that will be fun to drive. Nothing too complicated. The chassis and body came from Ron @ RPM. I did a 3" drop perch on the front, with a 4" drop axle, so it is going to get the chassis pretty low. I was hoping for about a 4" ground clearance, but it looks like it will be a little more. Ron mocked up the engine and tranny so that they would be as close to flush with the bottom of the frame rails as possible. I am going with a 351C w/ Boss heads, and an AOD backing it. In the rear I will be doing an 8.8" rear end out of an explorer, with a custom 4-link, and transerse leaf spring like a T should have! LOL Hopefully it will be a roller by the end of the week.

-Andy

Attachments

• 7-24-11 -1.jpg
    7-24-11 -1.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 286
Great start, great engine. AOD will be good, low gears to spin the cleveland and over drive.
I'll be watching this one for sure.

Nice to see another T in the works. Excellent start!

YES, it is a Ford engine. I am one of those people who figures, it is in fact a Ford, so I will put Ford parts in it! LOL Here is some more progress pics from last night. I got the rear end under the car @ ride height, and tacked up the 4-link bars that I made...

-Andy

Attachments

• 7-25-11 - 5.jpg
    7-25-11 - 5.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 241
The 8.8" rear end. I really wish I would have measured the pumpkin offset originally! LOL

-Andy

Attachments

• 7-25-11 -7.jpg
    7-25-11 -7.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 245
5" to the bottom of the frame rails! Now that is what I'm talking 'bout!

-Andy

Attachments

• 7-25-11 - 10.jpg
    7-25-11 - 10.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 224
How long is your wheel base?

Jeff

Well with it that long, it will drag on any humps in the driveway, so keep the belly pan thick and maybe alum. this will protect all the important stuff... Should be easy to step into. :)

The lowest point in the car is the frame rails. The engine mounts were made so that the engine and tranny would sit up above them. This way if it hits, it will be the frame rails. I don't suspect I will be going over any big speed bumps!

-Andy

Long enough?!?! Honestly, I have no clue. I would have to measure it. Why? Are you thinking it look a little too long for as low as I am?

-Andy
Just curious. Mine is 114", but I can't remember what sort of clearance I have from the pan to the ground. 5 1/2" comes to mind, but I could be wrong. I'll check tonight if you're interested.

Jeff

Just curious. Mine is 114", but I can't remember what sort of clearance I have from the pan to the ground. 5 1/2" comes to mind, but I could be wrong. I'll check tonight if you're interested.

Jeff

I will measure it when I get to the garage today. I know Ron made the frame about as short as he could make it, so we could avoid this issue as much as possible.

-Andy

I am thinking I will probably shorten up the longer side of the 8.8" rear end, replace that axle shaft with another shorter one, and center up the pumpkin. The rear of the car will be open primarily, so that rear end will basically be on display. Not really digging the fact that it is so far off center.

-Andy

Well, last night was nothing but problems! LOL I was going to tear apart the rear end, and shorten the longer axle tube, to match the shorter side. When I opened the center section, and tried removing the small bolt from the center pin, it was stuck and stripped out! No way I am getting that out now. So, I measured and tacked on my spring plates. I should not have done that yet!! LOL Later when I went to put the leaf spring in, and set the weight of the frame down on it, it just sat on the axle. Needless to say, I need to cut off the spring brackets, put the weight of the frame + some on the spring, and THEN locate the spring brackets. It will get there...

-Andy

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back