Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

new guy, interested in building a T Bucket, and learning

kps

I bought the book how to build for under $3,000 last year, been thinking for a while, just gathering thoughts, was researching & found this site.

one thing I want different, is I want a real useful bed, I have some pics on my old computer of what I want, pretty much entire wood bed, with sides at 45 degree angles not sure what era? I plan to build one to replicate pics I have on computer, but I want a 6 foot bed, so I can not only cruise, but actually haul something. whether a car engine, transmission, or groceries, or just find something at a yard sale, also I want the gas tank under bed. otherwise, nothing out of ordinary I am a truck person, I have several on the road, what ever I own, I make it earn its keep.

havent decided on engine yet, part wants to do a small block V8, & then I also think of maybe a 4 cylinder, or V6.

I am a very mechanical minded person, & can think things out very well, have better than average fabrication skills, & been welding for a hobby for right at 36 years. plus I once was a professional autobody tech and painter, so most of what I have read looks good, except wanting to modify wheelbase, and length, build a custom wooden bed, with "blacksmith" type frame work, and hinge, plus no water pipe steering.

I havent started because of I didnt want to rush into anything, & wanting to pretty much build most in my head, & know what I am planning to do before I start buying anything, or making parts. plus I want to wait until I pay a bill off & I have 4 payments left.

so any imput is apreciated, but dont try to change my mind on a real working bed. only planning for a max payload of around 500lbs. I dont have a use for a vehicle that cant be used except to haul me, unless it is a motorcycle.

Thanks,
Randy

We are getting ready to build a 27 T truck, and use a 4' bed on it to do just what you said. Haul a few things here and there. On you decision on motor choice, think about resale value. Sooner or later you will get tired of this and want something else. Popular v-8 powered cars are a lot easier to sell than something with say a 62 Studebaker V-8 in or some other not so popular engine. Yep small block Chevys are like popcorn, just everywhere. Most people like popcorn!

A C-cab truck on a 4" thick frame with a stake bed body, dual wheels in the back and dual round polished gas tanks......yep! That's the ticket!

We are getting ready to build a 27 T truck, and use a 4' bed on it to do just what you said. Haul a few things here and there. On you decision on motor choice, think about resale value. Sooner or later you will get tired of this and want something else. Popular v-8 powered cars are a lot easier to sell than something with say a 62 Studebaker V-8 in or some other not so popular engine. Yep small block Chevys are like popcorn, just everywhere. Most people like popcorn!

I know, and I happen to have a Z28 style aftermarket cross ram intake, plus a few old V8s laying around, from 283 to 400 but was also thinking of say a zetec, cause I also have one laying around, or quad 4, for the cossworth look, or old school 4 cylinder Datsun L series engine, cause I have half a dozen from back in the day when I raced them, or stay more conventional with a 4.3 Chevy, & I dont have either quad 4 or V6, or go with Ford or dodge power, I do happen to have a 429 Ford as well as a 390, or look at small block Ford power, & I have friends with numerous dodge engines, just put a 440 in one of his cars for him, & had pulled out the 400, which would be great with a 440 crank to make a 454 stroker dodge, as for the T-Buckets I know these cars should be relatively light, & I still want somewhat decent mileage, but I like to play & have fun too....

anyway thats my thoughts.... decisions, decisions, decisions.......

Randy

I did some of what you are planning to do. I extended the bed of my bucket but not to 6' only made it about 32" long. Moved the fuel tank under the frame added atrailer hitch and then to complicate things I added a door. Made for a long winter kept busy always finding something else to do on it. Good luck will look forward to seeing some pics of the project

If I had found a 62 Studebaker V8 before I stumbled across this 60V6 for a price I couldn't refuse, I'd be building with one...LOL. Studebaker nut here...well, in addition to being an all arouond general purpose nut :D

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back