Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Ls swap

fletcherson

Hello all. Not T bucket related, perse’ but I may haul my bucket with the truck... with that said: I have a thing for ford square body trucks. I have a few. One is a very nice ‘84 f350 dually with a tired 460 and a 4 speed manual with a gear vendor od. I have everything on hand to either swap in a 6.9 or 7.3 idi or power stroke diesel, including a banks turbo for the idi, but I really think it would be a better over all truck with a modern gas power plant. Don’t hate me, but I’m seriously considering a 5.3 ls. They are bullet proof, reliable, available, cheap, more power and mileage than anything else, in reality, and will fit without extreme fabrication. I’ve done some initial research, but I’m looking for input and or suggestions related to parts, etc. I want to have a basically stock truck with a stock GM power plant. I’m looking to build a new to me daily driver with good power, reliability, and decent fuel mileage... something that rules out repairing the 460 or installing a later model injected motor, which I also have. It also needs power to tow whatever. I simply want to retain all stock features from both components.... a/c, power steering, power brakes, stock speedo, ford trans, etc. It’s a very nice, rust free, Arizona truck, and it suits me. I prefer to put the money into making it what I want than buying a new pos that will rust to pieces, self destruct, and be miserable to maintain. I have been collecting parts for a while. I even have a 205 cast iron gear drive transfer case, crossmember, linkage, drive shafts, front and rear diffs, with 3:73 gears in the event that conversion to 4x4 comes to fruition. Thoughts? I’m open to suggestions, comments. I’m a big boy so I won’t cry... too much, lol. Serious discussion is my goal.

Though the Blue Oval guys will hate you, it seems like a sensible swap to me. Good reliable power from the LS platform, and lots of aftermarket support. I say go for it!

I would prefer to keep it all blue, but there really isn’t a viable implant option. The coyotes are very pricey, not real available, and very large, so not a very good budget or dyi friendly choice... even though I consider myself far advanced of the average dyi, I don’t want to have to re engineer the entire project or fabricate tons of parts. There are lots of ls swap pieces available, so that should minimize my manufacturing requirements. My machinist “friend” and I aren’t really in communication lately either, for some unknown to me
reason, but I have had a run of hard life issues, so whatever this is will just have to be... and I won’t bother anyone out of the blue for favors. I’m sure I can get whatever machine work done here or elsewhere if I lack the tools. The more plug n play this becomes, the better. The 302 Windsor is my favorite small ford but I don’t think it would make the power I want and be efficient, without major work, in comparison to a stock ls. I learned to hate the 351w from years of rebuilding and replacing them in fleet trucks, so that’s out. Not to step on anyone’s pride, just my experience. They don’t compare to the ls in stock form. The other bbf, like the Cleveland offerings, are just not really feasible due to availability, cost, and the big one: fuel economy. None of the other blue offerings, like the v10 or triton are even a consideration in my mind and the trusty 300 i6 is just too slow and really not as efficient as the 5.3. I like the diesels, but for a daily, and considering fuel cost, the ls has the edge. I also considered a Cummins, but much more involved in the swap and deeper wallet required. The 6.0 ls is the performance choice, but they are pricey and the 5.3 makes plenty of power for less $ in fuel and initial procurement. I have no problem with the 460, I like them, they make good power, but the cost of rebuilding, even a mild refreshing, compared to procuring a 5.3 donor is not favorable and there is no way to make the big Henry fuel efficient. It’s a pipe dream to think that $1.50/gal fuel will return... and definitely not long term, so that, sadly, kills my beloved big block powered machines for daily use. There is a guy local that will take a stock harness and ecm, and make it work. He eliminates the vats, etc... reasonable in cost, so that’s a big piece of the puzzle.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back