Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Gauges

fletcherson

anyone else shopping for gauges? I have more time in staring at the computer shopping for gauges. I have it down to a pretty specific slyle that will blend in with my design, if you want to call it that, but man, I didn't plan on digging so deep for such a seemingly simple part of the build. I really need to have them on hand sooner than later to work out the dash design. I really like the auto meter American muscle gauges, but by the time I order the set, plus a tach, because they don't offer a kit with one, and the senders, shipping, etc, it's dinner less than a grand... And the smaller gauges aren't full sweep like the speedo and tach, to get them to really match, you have to order individually, and it's over a grand for six gauges. They just aren't that nice. So I found the speed hut site. Nice stuff. I designed a set that I really like and they will really go well with other elements of the interior, still a couple dinners less than the others, but not cheap. And if you want a gps speedo, no dinners!The real killer is having to dig a little deeper for senders on top of everything else, a little salt in the wound... Don't get me wrong, I like both sets, and from what I know, they are both American made quality parts. I just can't seem to settle for the cheaper ones I've seen after the two I mentioned due to the design works so well. I guess I am either cheap, or have expensive tastes, or a mixture of both, lol... Sort of a bi polar budget.... I know that a cheap set will serve the same purpose, and likely not be any better once the new wears off. I just have a certain look I am after.

I just bit the bullet on an 8 gauge set from Speedhut. I'm waiting to get them. I never intended to spend so much on gauges, but they had a sale a while back and I went nuts. I know what you mean about $$$. I'm in the same budget boat.

I obsessed over gauges for a long time. I had settled on a set of VDO Vision. Then I saw the Speedhut speedos with the built in turn signal and high beam indicators. And the way that you can customize the whole set is really cool.

Anyway, I figure I'll be looking at the things (literally) for years.

I just bit the bullet on an 8 gauge set from Speedhut. I'm waiting to get them. I never intended to spend so much on gauges, but they had a sale a while back and I went nuts. I know what you mean about $$$. I'm in the same budget boat.

I obsessed over gauges for a long time. I had settled on a set of VDO Vision. Then I saw the Speedhut speedos with the built in turn signal and high beam indicators. And the way that you can customize the whole set is really cool.

Anyway, I figure I'll be looking at the things (literally) for years.
Funny you said that, I just decided to order the VDO visions silverstone gauges. E gauges has them for 501.00 for six gauges and all senders. That's 250 less than the next cheapest that I like, not that price was the whole point, but come on, their gauges...I wish they had the signal and hi beam indicator, but I have some cool led indicators I already bought for that. I also wish the speedo went higher than 120, but no biggie. I was all set to order the speed hut gauges, but the extra two bones they wanted for senders and shipping frankly ticked me off. I really liked the ones I designed, but they aren't that special. I found some others that are nice from classic industries, but I like the VDO lighting better. Anyone have any experience with VDO before I push the button? Lol... I am not looking for flashy or fancy, but I definitely have a specific style in mind, I've learned in the process of searching... Before looking at them, I really didn't have a specific preference. Funny how that works. I do have a basic vision for the car, and being a simple interior, the gauges are pretty important.

Ron Francis sells a wiring harness for VDO sets for easy wiring,

Cool, I will check it out. Ron has some cool stuff. The fact that he supports VDO makes me feel like they are well thought of. I have used all kinds of gauges, I just don't recall any experience with VDO. That's good, because I seem to remember bad things more than good. I don't remember too much trouble with any gauges. Pressure gauges mainly, air, gas, and many water pressure gauge issues on pumps. But that is due to the hard water and the fact that they cycle constantly. I had one fail on my Aragon tank recently, I thought I had something weird going on because I had to crank it up so far, turned out to just be a bad gauge. The big issue was with the mechanical temp gauges with the attached senders, those were the aqillies heel. I don't understand how the gauge makers justify their prices. I found the classic industries (others do the same thing) gauges and they have a series that are basically all the same with different paint schemes. Of course the ones that I like are the more expensive ones, but how can a color change on a gauge set justify a three hundred dollar price difference? Same designer, same options... Oh well, some things aren't to be understood... Probably licensing or copyright related. Too bad, I liked their red faced "v8" line. They would have went well with my (V8) horn button and the black cherry paint that my wife likes. FYI, if you want a gps speedo, you can get adapters to use on any electronic speedo. I am fine with the signal generator on the transmission for now. I don't have a problem with using mechanical gauges, and they are much more budget friendly, I don't relish the task of gear selections to calibrate. Been there. The cables can be difficult to route too, but I have a box of different adapters around here somewhere, 90*, etc that I have from back in the cab company days.

I have Autometer (made in Il.) no problems.
I like their gauges, they were my first choise, I just couldn't make myself pay the price for the ones that I wanted. Not that I can't afford it, or anything, it's just that they are gauges... I have built wicked engines for less money, lol.The car in your avatar is a very similar color to my '23. It is going to get a color change because my iroc is similar, but I like that color.

I'm probably going to catch flack for my gauge choices. I know they have a bad rep but what I have is 2 pair of NOS Aurora electric speedometers and tachs...for less than $100 total. One set to start with, the other for replacements. When I get down to the replacements, I'll start looking in earnest for replacements...be they more Auroras or some other brand. My only requirements are white faces with black bezels, pointers, and numbers. And to match my aircraft style trim rings I'll need 3-3/8" diameter.

Here is an example of the aircraft style trim rings I have
s-l500.jpg

For volt, oil. and water gauges, I'd originally planned on using one of Auto Meter's Auto-Gauge style 3 gauge under dash sets
s-l1600.jpg

But now it's looking like an under dash mounting will not work. So the plan is to put the 3 gauges in the dash with aircraft style trim rings to match the speedo & tach. I need to determine if the gauges from the Auto-gauge panel are individually removable and dash mountable. If that does work, I'll have all my gauges, including back up speedo and tach, for less than $275.

Gauge prices...it is a bit odd. Autometer, like other makers, offers 37 different "designs", but they are all the same inside, just different cosmetics. And there isn't much inside. I've taken a few apart and the housing is mostly empty space. And the insides were designed many years ago, so there is no ongoing design activity to justify the high prices. And I say odd, because there are lots of gauge makers and one would think competition would drive down prices. The conspiracist in me thinks "price fixing."
Anyway, if you're not picky you can get some good gauge deals on eBay. And Autogages are small and cheap, if not exactly bespoke.

Gauge prices...it is a bit odd. Autometer, like other makers, offers 37 different "designs", but they are all the same inside, just different cosmetics. And there isn't much inside. I've taken a few apart and the housing is mostly empty space. And the insides were designed many years ago, so there is no ongoing design activity to justify the high prices. And I say odd, because there are lots of gauge makers and one would think competition would drive down prices. The conspiracist in me thinks "price fixing."
Anyway, if you're not picky you can get some good gauge deals on eBay. And Autogages are small and cheap, if not exactly bespoke.
We think alike on the price conspiracy and engineering aspect. The new ones are electronic, but actually, electronic components are much cheaper and easier to assemble than mechanical with much less engineering. It seems like someone set the bar, and everyone else went along. The other thing that shocked me was a quality steering wheel, adapter, and horn button. My, how times have changed... Oh well, what's the old saying about the difference between men and boys? Boys don't complain about the price....because mommy buys them! Lol

Fletch: Oh, yeah, I just bought a Budnik wheel: $400. Yes, it is pretty, but It's just one chunk of aluminum and a bit of leather. But I guess the market is small, compared to the market for, say, engine parts, and the govt makes it tough today to keep the doors open. I've watched the consolidation of SEMA companies under the Holley umbrella with mixed feelings. I bought a B&M blower 10 years ago. Then Weiand bought B&M. Then Holley bought Weiand. So today you can buy a Holley blower, but no more B&M or Weiand. And my B&M 250 blower was the perfect size for a SBC, but it was dropped by Weiand/Holley. Go figger.
CR0yRQrxNpsXkNTwGYVuLWeDq8cYhtkuHN_qRdaj7_NOe6sH3Z5N4tjVQWyPfd_VSYuVUWzFU_-kYNqEH8sDypO-YIkGWj_C-2R0WtSpmKnHorIjN4DvO8Jmtx37kVxOIDJ5taRJrcxOs6aYP41_aKGtyzztP44O13FbHGLtD0o7yeRsh6Y1qGoMakxm_EbFAguQvrHtI67lziu4O0SsAk1naQ4hyYqcoiAj3bFGe9c3MSNVo9uwncdX4w3QfR9pjRbd5z05KwQZAbjyS6O5wzpiWvYDpdLbD8NuOiPMSVWJt4UvqhjBuqsgoDX4wHqLjwPmZqx7D5tv0Bxem7ZX4Wpo9jnY9OkvtDUSMEQ2KYQhuxGP3UonrcEfbO5FYNTT-oND5djrZMXz6RniE4LZVW2helmDJT5d2dHiL6-guaFVZwDgPQfHAjojd7_rE4bg_j6aypS9TpiWVwbQmTCK8AWuy-Tvr202Kfzr9s310HAt1FOOhrKXQEwJo_dcN8YVtCkvPFwBmUaayfcqLct31sppykwnE7AHF46hQy27pfapn1q_ZyjpRZnL7QM4DSwK5wl6=w528-h791-no

Good Grief, just asked Budnik and they now want $575 for my road wheels. Add $400 for a Hoosier tire and I'm at a grand per corner.

Autometer, like other makers, offers 37 different "designs", but they are all the same inside, just different cosmetics.

They get a lot of flack about their quality, but that is one area I really like about the Aurora gauges. They offer gauge face, bezel, and needle kits to allow customization of their gauges from the simplest to the fanciest. One of the speedometers I bought was black face and white numbers, but what I needed is white face with black numbers. A complete 6 gauge kit of the style faces I need was $25 on ebay.

Only one gauge on my dash.

And at night with a yellow LED for lighting it up.

Pretty cool gauge. Is that all you are going to use?
Temp and fuel gauge will be hidden. Everything else done with idiot lights.

Anyway you guys; I seem to think all original Ts were right hand drive?????:whistling:

Last edited:
Temp and fuel gauge will be hidden. Everything else done with idiot lights.

Anyway you guys; I seem to think all original Ts were right hand drive?????:whistling:
As long as you can keep it on the correct side of the road and pointing in the correct direction...lol

Fletch: Oh, yeah, I just bought a Budnik wheel: $400. Yes, it is pretty, but It's just one chunk of aluminum and a bit of leather. But I guess the market is small, compared to the market for, say, engine parts, and the govt makes it tough today to keep the doors open. I've watched the consolidation of SEMA companies under the Holley umbrella with mixed feelings. I bought a B&M blower 10 years ago. Then Weiand bought B&M. Then Holley bought Weiand. So today you can buy a Holley blower, but no more B&M or Weiand. And my B&M 250 blower was the perfect size for a SBC, but it was dropped by Weiand/Holley. Go figger.
CR0yRQrxNpsXkNTwGYVuLWeDq8cYhtkuHN_qRdaj7_NOe6sH3Z5N4tjVQWyPfd_VSYuVUWzFU_-kYNqEH8sDypO-YIkGWj_C-2R0WtSpmKnHorIjN4DvO8Jmtx37kVxOIDJ5taRJrcxOs6aYP41_aKGtyzztP44O13FbHGLtD0o7yeRsh6Y1qGoMakxm_EbFAguQvrHtI67lziu4O0SsAk1naQ4hyYqcoiAj3bFGe9c3MSNVo9uwncdX4w3QfR9pjRbd5z05KwQZAbjyS6O5wzpiWvYDpdLbD8NuOiPMSVWJt4UvqhjBuqsgoDX4wHqLjwPmZqx7D5tv0Bxem7ZX4Wpo9jnY9OkvtDUSMEQ2KYQhuxGP3UonrcEfbO5FYNTT-oND5djrZMXz6RniE4LZVW2helmDJT5d2dHiL6-guaFVZwDgPQfHAjojd7_rE4bg_j6aypS9TpiWVwbQmTCK8AWuy-Tvr202Kfzr9s310HAt1FOOhrKXQEwJo_dcN8YVtCkvPFwBmUaayfcqLct31sppykwnE7AHF46hQy27pfapn1q_ZyjpRZnL7QM4DSwK5wl6=w528-h791-no

That looks awesome! Show me more, sorry Fletch for hijacking your thread.....

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back