Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Miss Fortune

tfeverfred

Well, my plans for a Speedster have been shelved. At least for a while. Seems the little lady wants something a little more street friendly. As in doors and not feeling like she'll fall out. So, I have got an idea in my head and through a little bit of luck, the wheels are in motion for my next project.

A few days ago, Shawn posted a link that had some pics of one of the coolest roadster pickups I had ever seen. Here is a few shots of it.

sweet_t.jpg

sweet_t2.jpg

sweet_t3.jpg

My girl saw the pic of the interior and said if mine was like that she'd love it. Well, heck! I'd love it too! I know I could never duplicate this car, but it got me thinking that a version of it (a cheap version) could be done using a T Bucket body. I remembered that Mikey (an NTBA member) had a stretched body that was made by the same manufacturer of mine. I had thought mine was a CCR body, but it is actually a K&S body. It seems they basicaly build the same body, but thicken it. Well, Mikey had sold the body he had, but said he might have other stuff I would need. One of those items turned out to be a Dago axle. It seems the Dago axle has a history going back to the early days of hot rodding. In short, at one time there were no dropped axles that you could just buy, they had to be made. What some did was take a '40 Ford axle, heat the ends and with a hammer, they would bend it to get the drop they wanted. It seems there was a fellow in San Diego who was good at this and the name of the axles he bent got the name Dago after San Diego. Now, this may be one of those urban legend things, but it's what I found when I Goggled it.

So, Mikey not only had a '40 axle, but has the templates to which the bends are formed. Knowing how cool that front axle would look, I told him to consider it sold. He's going to also drill the holes in it. Here is a pic of what one kinda looks like. This pic is of a "Mor drop" (which also has a history around the same time) and is very similar to a Dago axle. Note the bends and hammer marks on the end of the axle to get the drop.

dago_axle.jpg

Having got the axle, I set my thoughts on the frame. Once again, Mikey had one. Seems he had made one to fit a stretched K&S body and had extended it to accomidate a pickup bed for a customer who went back on the deal. Yea, kinda weird, but I'm rolling with it. So, it seems I have the frame and axle working and will get pics when I can.

For the front end, I'm going with a disc brake set up from Speedway that should fit the '40 axle. Here's a pic of the kit.

brakekit.jpg

Now, I know if I scrounged around, I could save some good coin on getting all this together. Like I did with Miss behavin', I'll be going a piece at a time and doing reasearch all the while. Now, if some of you guys run accross something that you think I could use, LET ME KNOW! I'm all about saving money and not affraid to clean something up or do a little repair to make something work.

So, the wheels are in motion on my next build. Basicly, it's a 23 T roadster pickup. I plan on a 36" stake bed behind the stretched body. For the interior, I'm going to use bomber seats and do the interior in a light brown. Color plan for the exterior is black. Everything is going to be black. Body and frame. Plans for the engine, as of now, are a straight 4 or six. Tranny, rearend and wheels/tires, to be determined. I'm open to suggestions.

I have the good fortune of being on a great forum site, with really good people. If ANY of you guys have thoughts, advice and opinions on what I'm doing or plan to do, PLEASE chime in! I value your opinions.

Her name is Miss Fortune. I hope she doesn't live up to it.
betty.jpg

Good for you Fred!!

I was kinda hesitant to start a new project, but I learned alot from my first one, and I'm eager to try my hand at a steel ride this time. maybe even learn a thing or two in the process:eek::):lol:

keep us posted!!

Coupefreak said:
Good for you Fred!!

I was kinda hesitant to start a new project, but I learned alot from my first one, and I'm eager to try my hand at a steel ride this time. maybe even learn a thing or two in the process:eek::):lol:

keep us posted!!

Thanks, Coupe! Yea, I learned a lot too and now that I have so many people to ask for advice, I'm a lot more confident this time around. This site is such a great tool for networking.

old round fart said:
Fred, can't you modify the body you have to include a door & bomber seats to enjoy this car for a while?

Yea, but what I found out with this build was that I actually enjoyed the process of building. Plus, I'll end up with two T Buckets. Might just give Miss Behavin' to my brother when he gets out of the Navy. Ya think Houston is ready for the Wyche Brothers rollin' around in hot rods?

I hope not!:welcome:

The "Guy" in San Diego Was Ed Stewart. He started dropping axles for friends and the word spread. Before long he was doing them for Almquist, Local speed shops and even J.C.Whitney. In his later years he taught his son the process. They became known as "Big Axle and Little Axle". The hammer technique was done before Ed. Actually, the T speedsters were the first to use dropped axles with this trick. Ed used a big ol' hydraulic press. Mor-drop started when someone asked them to copy one of Ed's axles. In one of the early issues of SRM ( maybe '74 or so) there was a write up of Mor-drops process. They were reported to have gone out of business shortly after that. Seems a guy by the name of Jim Ewing started reproducing the old Bell dropped tube axle, and the rodding world was beating a path to his door step.

The axle of choice for dropping is the Model A. Because of the longer distance between the king pin boss and the spring perch bore, A 3" drop could be done without stretching the axle. Basicly it was just reshaped in that area. That's the axle in Freds picture. A '40 axle has a shorter outer web and a drop of over 2" requires the axle to be streched. Some think that a steched axle is weaker than a reshaped one. I have never seen a Ford axle that failed from nornal use after it was dropped. These axles are tough. There is a picture of a T axle that Henry had his some one heat and twist 360 degrees and it was still intact.

Ron

Fred,

There was an interesting article in latest Hod Rod Deluxe on pumping up a 1954 or newer 235 CID Chevy Six with Isly cam, dual one barrel Offy intake and Fenton headers. Good for 132 HP and a ground pounding 197 lbft of torque. Put a 2 speed Glide behind it in a light car... :cool:

That would be different and cool looking too!

If you're going GMC six, go 292... this one SCREAMS.

250004150_f928ed30a4.jpg

250004154_4382764684.jpg

250004923_733e7c9097.jpg

Its new owner and new paint job

431605600_ebb2e2995a.jpg

1397675938_8293d41758.jpg

544016856_748c3a2931.jpg

1634731255_54e2e2b712.jpg

T-Odd....what did you do with the half of the frog?....that was classy!

250004154_4382764684.jpg

Seein' how the best part of a frog is the legs...

It was returned to the previous owner, Jethro specifically said to Lee, "if you decide to paint it (the car) please return the Frog."

EVERYONE wanted the Frog when Lee said he was going to paint the car.

Crap!

I hope this isn't giving up because I hate giving up, but I'm going to put this on hold. It looks like I need to learn more about how these cars go together in order to get things done like I need them and I guess I need to find out more info on what's made in China and what isn't. Don't ask.

So, I'm tossing in the towel on this one and just going to have fun this summer and get advice on what I need to do when planning a ground up build.

Hell, maybe I'll take some welding classes or something. I just don't know. Anyway, thanks as always for the words of encouragement. Toss 'em to me when I go after this next time.

Thanks!

P.S. In the mean time............ THINK GALVESTON!

Re: Crap!

LumenAl said:
Better to thoroughly research, plan, design, then review, modify, till you know exactly what you want and what it takes to get your project completed than to charge in full speed without a plan... So I would say your next project is currently in research phase... :)

You're right, LumenAl. I had forgotten what got me rolling on my first one. Time to settle down and work out a plan of attack.

Hi Fred,

Well, all I can say Fred is you have great taste!

I still think it would be cool to put a car like this together. I have actually seen this car up close. It was built by one of the best rods shops in the country called "Pinkee's Rod Shop". They are only 15 miles or so from my house. :D
Pinkee's Rod Shop - Custom Rod metal fabrication, phantom woodies and chassis

Street Rod Builder did a whole spread on this car. Eric and his team are some of the most talented people in the business. Check out the "Awards" page on his web site, and you'll see what I mean.

Now I don't have 1/1,000th's the financial resources to put something like this together myself, but the look and feel of the car is worth using for great ideas. I am going to start my own project soon, and I plan on getting some of my inspiration from this car as well.

I really like how the steering wheel was placed in a more normal position with the help from cowl steering. I can't remember exactly from the article, but I think he lengthened the body 14 or more inches to make it possible to stretch out your legs when your sitting in it.

I took a two full day workshop with Ron Covel at Pinkee's one weekend, and got a close look at the in's and out's of coach building. I think it would be cool to try something like this in aluminum.......

I say keep your original inspiration for this cook'in on the back burner. And your idea of getting a few welding classes under your belt is only going to make it all that much easier when you're ready. ;)

Take care,

David

Thanks, guys. Yea, she's brewing up nicely in my head. I've pretty much figured out how I want the frontend to look, now I'm tossing ideas around for the rearend setup. So, if you guys have any ideas and pics to get my thoughts in that dirrection, shoot'em my way.

My plan is to get things worked out and hit her full steam this fall/winter.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back