Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Brand New Member - 32 Guy Building a Metal T- Bucket ( Southern Indiana )

oldtymehiboy

Hello One and All, I just found Your site today and just joined. I'm in my 70's now. Hopefully this won't be too long of an introduction. Been a Hot Rodder since I was 15 yrs old. Had several 32 Fords and 55 Chevy's over the years. Presently I have two early Fords. A 32 -5 Window Coupe and a Real 33 Roadster Pickup. Both Henry Cars. The 5 Window I have been thinking about selling and my Son wants the 33 Pickup. When I was a teenager I started building a Cal Automotive Glass T- Bucket with a L79 427 Chevy Engine. I did not complete that build. I sold it at the 1st Street Rod Nationals in Peoria. It's probably a good thing it was never finished. I may not be here if it would have been completed. So here is what has happened. My Wife passed away in August. My Brother Paul seen how difficult it was for me to handle my Wife's passing and he suggest we build a new car together. I said what do You have in mind. He said how about a T- Bucket. We already have a lot of parts we could use. I agreed. So that is the plan. We have been collecting parts for about 2 months. I think we have probably about 90% of everything we'll need. I am going to pick up the Body in about 2 weeks. It is a Metal 1919 -1922 Model T Front Half of a Touring Body. We have an Essex Frame that I bought in Sierra Vista in the 70's when I live in Phoenix. We have a complete 401 Buick Engine & Trans. Early Ford Open Drive Rear End. Halibrand Wheels. And a 37 Tube Front Axle. I bought a Hilborn Fuel Injection Unit and my Brother bought a Weiand 6x2 drag Star Intake for the Buick. For some of You older and knowledgeable Hot Rodders You may see what we are planning. We want to duplicate TV Tommy Ivo's T- Bucket, but with a few subtle changes. Were going to use an automatic Trans instead of a 37 LaSalle box. Probably going to change the steering arm on the Drivers Side Spindle. I personnel like the the Car when Bill Roland had it. That is version were going to shoot for. So now I would like to ask some of You aknowledgeable builders a couple questions. What is the very best Steering Box to use today ? To the best of my knowledge Ivo used a 41 Ford Box. I think there might be something better out there today. Correct ? Now, I am not interested in a Cross Steering what so ever. The Drag Link has to come thru the Lower Cowl on Drivers Side of course. 2nd Question. I stated we have an Essex Frame. It's probably a 1928 - 30 Frame. It is in excellent condition. What I like about it. It has tapered frame rails in the Front like a Model A Frame. So my 2nd Question is - does someone make a Brand New Frame like a Model A with Tapered Frame Rails that would be a suitable start for the T- Bucket. Obviously a new frame with new metal would be a better option than the Essex. ( Maybe ). However the new Frame must have tapered frame rails like the Model A. Well - I hope my introduction wasn't too long and boring. I will try and not be a pain in the rear end to all of You. And lastly, I Sincerely want to Thank You for taking Your time and reading this. Any Advice or Help will be very much appreciated. Thank You - All. Sincerely, Bernie

Welcome aboard from Western Washington. I am building a 27 T Coupe on a modified 32 ford frame. Powered by a 351 (FORD) Windsor with a mild cam and dual Quads. I am finishing some details on the frame, and it will be off to power coating or paint. Haven't decided what the final color will be but gotta make that decision before I get the frame powered or painted. It sounds like you have an awesome start on yours. Looking forward to watching the build

Welcome OTHB! Glad you're with us. For those who may have forgotten what Ivo's T looked like I'm including a picture. Re: frame with tapered rails, one of our sponsors, Ron Pope (RPM Motorsports) can custom build a frame just about any way you want it, and at a reasonable cost. Check him out. Again, welcome!

Attachments

• Ivos T.jpg
    Ivos T.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 11
I have a frame like you mentioned, mine came from CCR.

Welcome aboard from Western Washington. I am building a 27 T Coupe on a modified 32 ford frame. Powered by a 351 (FORD) Windsor with a mild cam and dual Quads. I am finishing some details on the frame, and it will be off to power coating or paint. Haven't decided what the final color will be but gotta make that decision before I get the frame powered or painted. It sounds like you have an awesome start on yours. Looking forward to watching the build
I have always like T Coupes. Especially the one built by Bob Grossi from Calif. I heard thru the grapevine it is being restored by a Family Member. I hope so> car has history and providence. I like a Chopped T coupe on Deuce Rails also. Hope to see Yours done. Stay at it all it takes is talent and money.

Welcome OTHB! Glad you're with us. For those who may have forgotten what Ivo's T looked like I'm including a picture. Re: frame with tapered rails, one of our sponsors, Ron Pope (RPM Motorsports) can custom build a frame just about any way you want it, and at a reasonable cost. Check him out. Again, welcome!
I just got off of Ron Pope Motorsports site. I am going to call him in the morning. Thxs for the advice Spanky

Welcome from Chappell Nebraska. I'm sorry that the conditions which have brought you here are not happier. Sounds like you have a great brother, though. Anyway, welcome to this little family. Hopefully, we can help to distract and possibly share in future memorable moments.

Jack

Last edited:
Welcome from Chappell Nebraska. I'm sorry that the conditions which have brought you here are not happier. Sounds like you have a great brother, though. Anyway, welcome to this little family. Hopefully, we can help to distract and possibly share in future memorable moments.

Jack
Thank You Jack. I appreciate that.

Would You have some photo's of it before You started to build Your Car ? Do You happen to know the Wheel base ? And are You happy with the end product. Thank You - Sir
The car is in storage for another month or so while I complete my new garage so I can't get any measurements but I'll look for some pics. Yes, I am very happy with it.

VEGA steering box. Hope this helps.
Hello DonnyRay, Thank You for chiming in. I have decided to use a VW Bus Steering Box. Talked to a couple fellows out west and that is what they use. Now to find a good one or to buy a freshly rebuilt unit. But again, I really appreciate Your input. Thank You - Sir. I'm sure as we get started I will have other questions. Thxs.

I put Unisteer on mine. Haven’t got it running yet but most people that have done it like it. My first bucket used a Ford Econoline box and it came out from under the cowl.

I wonder if there is a listing of preferred choices for steering boxes in these little cars. Corvair & Vega boxes are popular, but by no means are they the only ones.

I wonder if there is a listing of preferred choices for steering boxes in these little cars. Corvair & Vega boxes are popular, but by no means are they the only ones.
Morning Spanky, I have decided to use a VW Bus Type ll.
Did a lot of research and that is the decision on this critical piece. Picking up the Metal Body Saturday afternoon.

Speedway catalog gave advice on which boxes that would work for traditional and cross steer.

The ones Speedway mentions are Vega, Corvair, 68-73 Mustang, 48-56 Ford pickup. But I also know of successful usage of VW bus steering boxes, and 65-91 GM manual steering boxes. I guess whatever you can make work is OK, but remember: safety first!
(PS - I think the VW bus box is a good choice.)

Last edited:
Mine is a 1966 full size Chevy manual steering box. It works! Like Spanky said if you have something that can work, go with it!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back