Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Steering

skinny mike

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Iv'e noticed on my T, and others the steering is very slow. A lot of cranking the wheel. My daily driver needs only a half turn of the wheel to make a 90 degree turn. I know the T's are short but, there are short oem's that are short but have quicker steering. A guy's gotta ask!? Why?

What steering box are you running? You don’t want it too close ratio or it will be twitchy and difficult to drive but you want steering response. I’m running a Vega style box with a 14” steering wheel and it seems about right. You never know what the original builder may have used, there really isn’t any right or prescribed method... whatever they had access to and could make work. The steering and brakes were major changes that I had to make to my 70’s era build.

Like I said, I've noticed, watching T's, that to turn , all need a number of cranks on the wheel. Grt in an OEM and drive and minimal steering wheel movement. Watch someone turn their T. Gotta crank that wheel.

Why would it matter? It is a MANUAL steering box that was designed from the 60s/70s and the car is so light it shouldn't be a problem.

But to make it easier would be to use a half rack and pinion setup. Not necessarily the amount of turns to navigate a corner. JMTCW FWIW

A concern is in a pucker situation, crank fast one direction, then correct. It's fine just cruzin..but traffic and those oh-poop situations. So why do we use those old boxes? BTW..I don't know whats in my T, but it's a slow manual. I don't like it..so gotta search. Another issue....

Most modern cars have power steering. For an older car with manual steering you need that ratio so you can actually turn the wheel. Your T is light and don't need that ratio in order to turn the wheel. You could always put power steering in your T. My T has a manual box from a 1966 Impala. About 4-1/2 turns lock to lock.
Just sayin'

A concern is in a pucker situation, crank fast one direction, then correct. It's fine just cruzin..but traffic and those oh-poop situations. So why do we use those old boxes? BTW..I don't know whats in my T, but it's a slow manual. I don't like it..so gotta search. Another issue....
I saw a polished half rack advertised on fb marketplace yesterday for 400. I don’t remember the location, but everything is shipped anymore.

I'm running a '54 Ford pickup box and it works pretty well for me . Maybe OP needs more caster to return to center..?

You can , within reason , effectively change the steering ratio buy changing the length of the steering arm and pitman arm , a lot easier than changing out a steering box.....thinking about it ,
I rarely turn my steering much more than 1/3 of a turn in town traffic.......reversed corvair box..

Last edited:
With all the texters and just plain bad drivers here in New Mexico, it can get scary upon occassion.In my daily driver, just a nudge of the wheel, sometimes. In the T, well..... It's been up on jackstands a while re-doing a lot of stuff. Can't measure castor yet, but I knew the toe was too much by the feel of the tread...One inch. Have it at a quarter in, now as my base so when I can drive it I can nudge it out a bit at a time.Maybe once I get it dialed ln I won't feel the need for a faster steering. This car is a challenge! Thanks for the replies. My only experience with it was when I drove it home after buying it. Kept me awake!

Half Rack is the answer, I just saying. After I installed the half rack it is very responsive and so much better cruising. Skinny Mike we have lots of members in the Albq area that would love to help you with your car if you want help that is. I am in Artesia and i will help if I can.

OK, ya got me guys. What's a half rack? Barby ribs?.Have an old magazine that explains how a guy moded a R&P to be vertical steer shaft with the rack? running forward to the steering arm. Looked kool. Don't want a cross steer . Drag link and vertical steer column which I have.

Bit like this.... there are more pics of my set up on this site.

rack cover.JPG
Steering oct 08 (29) [640x480] (2015_11_13 11_07_31 UTC).JPG

This is what I am using right now today. I love it and I just made the Aluminum block to use my Corvair bolt holes for the support in front of the firewall...……... aDSCN7798.jpg aDSCN7804.jpg

Oh man...love those pics. That idea goes on my list, after I get the thing on the road. The list grows and grows and grows. THANK YOU ALL !

Mike,

I like your block that mounts to the Corvair pad. Did you have to modify the mounting bracket provided with the half rack?

Let me look for some photos of the part of that bracket that I did use...….Back soon......

In my case it is a drag link type. Here are some photos of the bracket that I used. There are several other Buckets with this type set up and just like T Buckets they are all different...…..DSCN7789.jpg DSCN7795.jpg DSCN7797.jpg This is Paul Vroomans set up......13457603_1049698858440724_469215139_n.png.jpg

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back