Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Parking Brakes

tfeverfred

So, show or tell how you did yours.

I used the Lokar set up.

Jim

Not much to show.
Used S10 drums...Dodge pickup cables...some furrin car handle I had "in stock'.
Works excellent!

Finding room to mount the handle with a manual trans is proving to be tricky for me...
"Yes..."finding room" is the trick for just about everything in a T bucket!!! LoL

My pull up handle is to the right of my automatic floor shifter and as far back as I could put it. I basicly lean over a little and drop my hand right on it.
I'm surprised just how much of a bend those cables can actually accept without binding...but I haven't had any issues at all.

mines is on the prop and doubles up as the alternator drive. Uses a go cart calliper which has proved to be very effective.

Hand brake Nov 08 (15) [640x480] (2015_11_13 11_07_31 UTC).JPG

Check out this system. Really cool but expensive.

Jim

And this is how I mounted the handle. It sits down in the bottom of the body right against the side. Never in the way when off.

Hand brake lever and column 2 final (3) [640x480] (2015_11_13 11_07_31 UTC).JPG

in car.JPG

Last edited:
Check out this system. Really cool but expensive.

Jim
I thought about doing something similar using line locks. I have a manual and electric version on my old boom wrecker, both work well. The downfall is battery drain with electric. There are normally closed solenoids available, so one could devise a system that would work sort of like air brakes...on until powered...

Check your state DMV laws as in some [most] states an emergency [parking] brake has to be manual , no electronics

Check your state DMV laws as in some [most] states an emergency [parking] brake has to be manual , no electronics
You are likely correct, I am building this one for me, not them.... my first choice is mechanical, cable and lever parking brake, but if I can't locate the handle in a spot that suits me, hydraulic locking brakes are better than no parking brake... the manual hydraulic line lock on my wrecker locks both sides of the master, all four wheels lock and hold. It's much better than any parking brake, in fact, the cable brakes aren't and haven't been operational for many years and it's a manual shift. I planned on mounting the lever parallele to the seat, but the mc and access door and the glove compartment under seat prohibits it on the drivers side, I may be able to do it on the passenger side, but I haven't decided yet. Speaking of line locks, anyone thought about adding skid brakes, like a dune buggy?

Weedetr Lincoln Versailles E-brake cable bracket on the back. Lokar cables and handle.I cut a slot just big enough for the handle to go through the floor and carpeted around it. Looks nice without the boot and tucks up next to the trans tunnel.
20170612_172013.jpg

Can some of you describe how you're running the cables underneath? That was actually what I was looking for.

Okay. How about pics? How many do not run a parking brake? It's funny because, when I look at all the T Bucket pics I have, I don't see any cables. Of those with a parking brake, have you ever even used it?

Fred,

I'm planning to run the cables from the brakes on top of the axle tube to the top of the diff. Then, they will be centered above the drive shaft going toward the front. The boh will make a left turn and connect to the handle that is just in front on of the seat riser. The pulls up counter clockwise. I'm making brackets to keep th cable clear of the rotating object.

That is the plan any way. Hope you can visualize it.

PaulR

Fred,

I'm planning to run the cables from the brakes on top of the axle tube to the top of the diff. Then, they will be centered above the drive shaft going toward the front. The boh will make a left turn and connect to the handle that is just in front on of the seat riser. The pulls up counter clockwise. I'm making brackets to keep th cable clear of the rotating object.

That is the plan any way. Hope you can visualize it.

PaulR

Thanks, Paul. That does sound like a good solution.

Fred,

Let me know if you so e "Gray Stuff" from Ron Francis. I ordered more than I'll use. I have one package left over. If you want it it is yours.

Give me a shout.

PaulR

Gray stuff? Please refresh my memory.

Here's the bottom of mine.
F1E93B49-EA29-43A5-8D2E-036DAB60F680_zpsxpcd5cbx.jpg

72592870-3759-4044-8521-B78D0A227521_zpsijfynvyc.jpg

6C65AEF2-5403-4038-AC54-11DF67DB63FF_zpshyaq4u5c.jpg

I drilled holes in the wood and inserted T-Nuts from the top side. They are glassed in now. Also the wire installed was strictly for mock up purposes. Thats the lockar setup.

Here's the bottom of mine.
F1E93B49-EA29-43A5-8D2E-036DAB60F680_zpsxpcd5cbx.jpg

72592870-3759-4044-8521-B78D0A227521_zpsijfynvyc.jpg

6C65AEF2-5403-4038-AC54-11DF67DB63FF_zpshyaq4u5c.jpg

I drilled holes in the wood and inserted T-Nuts from the top side. They are glassed in now. Also the wire installed was strictly for mock up purposes. Thats the lockar setup.

That's exactly what I needed to see. Thanks!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back