Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Large rust flakes on S10 rear end. Usable?

trogdor

I found an S10 rear end that will fit, but it has a lot of rust, and parts of the housing are flaking off. I thought it was mud or dirt at first... Is this salvageable?

20231009_165529 Large.jpeg 20231009_165535 Large.jpeg

Pretty bad............I might find another one.......

Thank you all for your replies. I'd never seen rust flake like that... I wasn't sure how much is "too much" so to speak, or more specifically, how to know if structural integrity has been compromised. I'm finding that getting an S10 rear end in decent shape is harder than I thought, at least up here in salty-roads-land. I had been thinking that would be one of the relatively easy ones on my parts scavenger hunt list... so much for that.

Kind of looks like it was on my 08 Chevy Silverado...lol. I ended up purchasing a new diff cover, and cleaning/painting my rear differential.

IMG_2680.jpg

IMG_2704.jpg

I don’t know where you are, but I have, or had if no one snatched it out of my steel pile, a 3:73 posi out of a s10 blazer 4x4. I think the 4x are a inch or two wider than 2x, but should still be in the useable width range for a bucket. I’m in Ohio.

I don’t know where you are, but I have, or had if no one snatched it out of my steel pile, a 3:73 posi out of a s10 blazer 4x4. I think the 4x are a inch or two wider than 2x, but should still be in the useable width range for a bucket. I’m in Ohio.

Thanks! I'm in Minnesota, so that'd be a bit of a drive, but I'll keep that in mind. I have a few more places I'm planning to look.

Thanks! I'm in Minnesota, so that'd be a bit of a drive, but I'll keep that in mind. I have a few more places I'm planning to look.
Hell of a drive... I have relatives there. I have driven, or ridden, that journey. Once in the back seat of a javelin. The year Elvis died. Not again!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back