Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Big redo of the old bucket

Here's the shifter and gear indicator mounted to tranny:
shifter%2520and%2520indicator.JPG

I'm Lovin It! You need to put a button shift over-ride in your steering wheel, that way you can manually shift 1-2-3....while in drive. That is really neat, and artful, the wiring project! (I like doing crazy stuff like that.)
I just got true putting a manual valvebody in the FMX behind that BigBlock....I love the work you've put into your car. The Steering column mount that attaches to your dash, mount some more gauges there. Or build yourself a cowl pod and mount some stuff there.:thumbsup:

MAGIC TIME! Just waiting for the drugs to take effect (old Steve Martin line). Here's where new things are happening:
2013%2520mods%2520001.jpg

The new electrical panel mounts vertically behind the seats. All cables are connectorized, mostly trailer and boat connectors. Pics soon. Cruise season here in MN is only 4 months, and I have 25 cruises, 5 Cars & Coffees, and 3 shows in my Daytimer already, so no more fooling around.

Now at the firewall I'm doing a sandwich of 1/2" MDF and 1/8" aluminum. Channels in the MDF will hide the throttle cable, and hoses and wiring to the engine:
firewall%2520template.JPG

Making template from poster board. The MDF will actually be in several pieces and glued to the firewall. Then the hidden bits will be routed, and the interior aluminum firewall will be secured to the MDF. The throttle cable will make a 90 degree turn over a pulley to the pedal assembly. The hoses are for OP, WT, MAP, FP. The MAP has to go to 4 places: boost gauge, EFI sensor, FP regulator, tranny modulator. I'm using an aquarium air distribution log for it. The EFI sensor and the ignition coil will mount under the cowl behind the dash.

The exterior firewall remains smooth without penetration; that was a goal when we first built the car. And from the inside one also sees a clean firewall, with a throttle cable that appears to go thru the firewall, but doesn't. See? It's magic!

Screaming, my original design 20 years ago had a cowl pod with gauges. And I may do it yet. The car is never finished. And thank God for that.

Here's the new Derale pan and the old pan and old cooler (it ain't a hot rod unless it has louvers somewhere):
2013%2520redo1.jpg

I really need to come spend some time looking your car over. There is just to much neat stuff to look at that pictures can't cover properly!

Thought you might find this interesting. EFI ECU makers always want you to run the power leads directly to the battery. FAST even has a stern warning in their instructions. Now why they build stuff that is apparently very sensitive to electrical noise is a good question. I get a perverse pleasure out of doing things my way, so I'm running the power lines just like all the others, to the fuse block and the ground buss. But I'm hedging my bet by adding these:
P1010818.JPG

They are ferrite cores that clip over the power wires. They dampen RF interference. Radio Shack has them. And I'm adding several capacitors between the power wires to short out any noise. And I'm hacking up the ECU harness to fit my installation. I'll let you know how it turns out.

When I was at the post office we has robots that stacked mail in carts for shipping and they would sometimes crash. One of the guys wrapped most of the cables in aluminum foil to ground out RF interference and it helped. Haven't thought about that in years.

Installed the completed electrical panel today:
panel%2520installed.JPG

The clamp at top is holding the antenna for the keyfob remote.

I agree with O.R.F. Reminds me of the show Night rider. I hope I don't need to do that on mine, just to make it go down the road. I may have to build a go-kart with a T body on it instead. LOL

Does the remote unlock the doors or bring the car to you from the parking lot?
Not yet. But it does broadcast an ultrasonic mating call that only rod chicks can hear.
Put power to the panel today:

2013%2520redo3.jpg

The Optima battery sits in the passenger footwell. It's just too pretty to hide. And the rare passenger still has foot room, or can hang a leg out the side:

Annette%2520Car.jpg

...this picture gave me the shivering fits when I was 16. And I'm still waiting for a girl like Annette to do this in my bucket.

The fob controls power to the car. When I turned it on, a fuse blew. It was for the fuel pump, a 10 amp fuse with the flashing red light to indicate it's blown. They are expensive, but nice when something goes wrong. Replaced it with a 15 amp and all is well.

The fob also opens and closes the bed lid, and it has a "light show" function that turns on all the lights:

2013%2520redo2.jpg

The kids should enjoy it at the cruises. Still have unused buttons on the fob. Thinking of having the car talk to people, or make rude sounds. I have an Elvira pinball machine, and one of the things she says is "Don't touch me THERE!" What do you think?

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back