Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Big redo of the old bucket

Can you tell how much the top piece strengthened the lexan windshield at speed? Will it be hardly noticeable at 70 mph?

I'm converting to a laid back windshield at 30° and thinking about using Lexan.

I haven't driven it yet, but I expect little if any bending at speed. I can't bend the channel piece by hand. Lexan is great. I got mine on eBay. There are several sellers who will cut it to your exact dimensions. Mine was only $60, I doubt I could get glass for that. It was available in clear or 5% smoke, and I did the smoke. It's very subtle. Lexan weights a fraction of glass, won't shatter, and cleans easily. And the NASCAR guys use it, so the strength is obvious. I'll update when I get back on the road in a month or so.

I knew you had not driven the car, but thought you might have a good idea how much the top brace helped. Does yours have a coating to reduce scratching or are you using plain jane Lexan?

Thanks!!!

I haven't driven it yet, but I expect little if any bending at speed. I can't bend the channel piece by hand. Lexan is great. I got mine on eBay. There are several sellers who will cut it to your exact dimensions. Mine was only $60, I doubt I could get glass for that. It was available in clear or 5% smoke, and I did the smoke. It's very subtle. Lexan weights a fraction of glass, won't shatter, and cleans easily. And the NASCAR guys use it, so the strength is obvious. I'll update when I get back on the road in a month or so.
I'd look into getting some tearoffs if your going to use lexan. The it helps protect the windshield and can be easily removed & replaced as needed. I used to use them on the faceshield on my full face motorcycle helmet. Came in real hand in the spring when the bugs were rampant.

I knew you had not driven the car, but thought you might have a good idea how much the top brace helped. Does yours have a coating to reduce scratching or are you using plain jane Lexan?

Thanks!!!
Yes, good catch, mine has the MR10 coating. Highly recommended.

Have mounted a motorcycle steering damper to the car:
damper_2015.JPG

...there's a thread "steering damper revolt" in Suspensions if you're interested.

Looks like a fantastic job, but I can't see the other end. Got more photos???

I have more pics of my car than I do of my kids:
damper_2015c.JPG

damper_2015b.JPG

Lemme know if there is some detail you'd like to see.

Just have a hard time seeing the mounting point for the inboard side. But don't worry about it for me, I'm not looking to install a dampener on my car.

I know what you mean about pics of the car, I'm approaching 5000 myself!!! ...... hehehehe:whistling:

The unit is a feedthru design, with a rod that goes from the Heim end thru the body and protrudes out the back end. The body has a big clamp that bolts to the bracket off the batwing. It's a snug fit in the close quarters, and I may have to tweak it once it's on the road.

Much to report. Finally have the car back on the road. The Lexan windshield with stiffener only bows 1/8" at center at 50 mph. I think I can live with that. Spent the winter redoing the front end. New spindles, steering arms, leaf spring, and brake pads. Also added a steering damper; see https://tbucketeers.com/threads/steering-dampers-revolt.16787/ for a full accounting of that business. The steering arms came from RPM with no holes so I could customize them to my odd steering. Now the R&P arms are horizontal and straight out.

P1020941.JPG

The brake pads are organic/ceramic and I like 'em. Have a good foot pressure to braking force relationship; no grabbing and I can stage to 1/32". Like this car ever sees a race track...:whistling:
New steering geometry appears to practically eliminate bumpsteer, and replacing the old tie rod ends with Heims seems to tighten up the whole business; less free play at the steering wheel.
I have a new way to time the motor (it's always been a problem since I have no access to the front of the motor and no timing marks) and I'll write a paper on that and post it soon.

PG , do you have any way to t urn the crank manually ?? If so , it wouldn't be too difficult to find TDC using a piston stop .... you could take off your flywheel inspection cover & drill a 1-1 1/2 " hole in it so as to observe your flywheel , mark the flywheel & cover appropriatly & I'm sure there'd be a way tocome up w/"degree's. .. What made me think of this was some older engines you timed off the flywheel thru a hole in the block .
dave
BTW , the reason you can't feel the bumpsteer is both wheels are acting simultaneously.......

I've never had a flywheel cover; that really freaks the show inspectors. I have a tool to turn the flywheel by hand. Piston stop is now obsolete; wait 'til you see my new method. Patent Pending, so don't get any ideas, see? :cautious:

After 20 years the bushings in my coilovers were shot, so I replaced them all today.
bad%2520bush%25201.JPG
mr_bushing.JPG

Have a second damper to install this week and test with. Stay tuned.

Those glasses make you a handsome devil!!! :roflmao::laugh:

Added the second steering damper today:
P1020958.JPG

See my steering damper revolt thread for more info.

Cruise season is here, and so no major work until this Fall. But a treat today! Soon after we finished the car in 1994, we took it to the Bakersfield Hot Rod Reunion. That event was featured on an episode of NHRA Today, and I taped it at home. The tape went in a box of tapes that followed us around until I came upon it recently. I put it on my PC and then onto YouTube, where you can see it:

At about 5 minutes in, host Steve Evans shows an old digger with a Potvin blower, and then the camera pans to my car.

20 years after the moment, I can relive it on my big-screen. What an amazing time we live in.

Cool, I guess that makes you famous now that you've been on TV!!! :whistling:

Time flies. I changed the rear end from 2.60 to 3.12 with new Winters helical QC gears (see https://plus.google.com/photos/104971212334307682869/albums/6166656256757471777) and the whine (straight-cut gears) is gone! Just did 600 miles round trip to the T-bucket Nats in Green Bay, WI. Great trip, and got to see my Texas friends and lots of neat buckets. And got a super 20 mpg. I think the motor likes the new gears, and I tweaked the FAST EZ-EFI cruise air/fuel to a leaner setting.

Cruise season is upon us, and we go nuts here in Minnesota since we only get about 4 months before it turns chilly. Something going on every night somewhere. Already starting a punch list for this winter. mostly cosmetic stuff. I like the techy stuff, but gotta keep it looking presentable. Working on a way to align the IRS myself. And I am doing a new dash just for the hell of it.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back