Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Torque converter recommendation

FWIW, I am building a Cobra Kit and considered an auto trans. Under advise of the chief cook and bottle washer of the company, do not use less than a 3000 stall converter.
What motor are you going to use? That is the most important factor in picking a converter.

I am using the Ford crate engine A50xs. Rather than try to give all the details, it is best to google it.
Also, I decided to NOT go automatic, mostly due to size complications.
Thanks for the interest.
Here is a link, looks like Ford has quit advertising it in favor of the flat crank 5.2 L.
5.0L ALUMINATOR XS CRATE ENGINE

I haven't got my DB bucket running yet, but here's my combo, hope it works out. 330 ci Desoto Hemi 10.2 compression, Mopar A-518 auto with a .067 4th gear. Ford 8.8 diff with 4.10 posi gears, MT 29x15r tires.

I've never been a fan of big/loose stall convertors on the street - they generate a lot of heat. With my mild 350 Chevy I run a 2,000 stall to keep it from creeping at the stop lights. With these light cars, some stall is necessary, and in your case, I would think that little hemi will put out plenty of torque, so go easy on the stall. 2,800 maybe? Of course camshaft selection and other factors come into play, but with the low-geared rear end I wouldn't want it to stall above the torque curve.

Last edited:
Yaw, we need to know what camshaft you have and it's specs. Do you happen to know what the idle speed will be, maybe someone else has the same cam that you have talked with?

I’ve heard other guys complain that the converters creep at stop lights, etc due to the light weight of a bucket. Just a FYI. Maybe reach out to a actual converter manufacturer for their recommendations and be sure to have vehicle weight, cam specs, and related details.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back