Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Rand Radiators

Hey guys, I have just had first hand experience with Rand radiators and let me tell you you .... they are not worth the money, no matter what is paid. My buddy with the 21 Dodge ordered one because he felt the 327 in the car was running hot and he needed a different radiator in it to cool it down. His present radiator is a stock Model A that was cored and the lower inlet moved. It was good enough to keep the engine under 200* all last summer and with a 160* thermostat during the winter it never gets above 160*. So he orders a Rand out of Florida and it got here today. What a POS. The core is only 19 in, instead of filling the ModelA shell (I'd say 21 in. would be right). The actual core is twisted (like it wasn't placed in a fixture for assembly) 'bout 1/4 in. The mount tabs are uneven and one was bent up pretty good from the factory. The welds are BIG and sloppy. For $250.00 I don't think it was what Jim expected. The radiator is so bad that it will be sent back tomorrow with Jim out $50.00 for shipping both ways.
I would look into a locally made brass radiator that you will know who made it and can deal directly with them. The mount tabs will be where YOU want them, the money you spend will stay here in the USA, and if you choose wisely it will help an American Small Business stay in business and perhaps survive. Oh! And did I mention that the aluminum radiator was produced in CHINA ! What a hunk of junk.

John

And to other T Bucketeers that are in foreign countries, support local small businesses as much as possible. They are our future.

One Finger John,

Thank you for the first hand experience. For sure, I want to get something made in the USA.

+1 on buying US made and local. :soapbox:
I had my radiator custom built by Saldana Racing who specializes in building Sprint Car and hot rod radiators (and other cool stuff). They are local to me (Brownsburg, IN) and have been doing this for over 15 years. They custom built to my specs/dims a 2 row aluminum radiator (using good alum cores), the shroud, and mounted a SPAL fan. It was pricey compared to the cheapie ebay radiators, but my car never runs hotter than 185 -even at the HOT somerset Ky cruise. It was built by local craftsmen and I do feel a responsibility about supporting the local economy. Also, if I have any issues, I don't have to pay to ship it anywhere--I'll just drive over and take care of the issue.

I have heard many good things about PRC radiators too.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back