Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

(Rant) Today I Cancled My PayPal Account

Telman2

I've had a PayPal account since 2002, today I tried to make another donation to the forum and it was rejected by PayPal (not the credit card company linked to it). It seems that I've reached my spending limit. I don't use the account very often, maybe a couple of times a year and I always pay the linked credit card balance off in full every month so what happened?

It seems that over the 9 years I had the account I've reached my spending limit of $7000.00. In other words I've charged $7000.00 worth of merchandise over a 9 year period using PayPal. They made their commission on the purchases, never had a problem with my account or with getting paid. Years ago they sent me a security card that generates a security code when I'm using the account so they know it's really me but now they are saying that after 9 years they don't really know who I am, they need more information.

If I want to unlock my account so I can continue to use it they need my “banking information” which they will get when hell freezes over or I have to open a “Mastercard account” with them (I don't need a second Mastercard), again when hell freezes over.

The site warns us about identity theft but continues to prod us for more and more personal information and we must be giving it to them because they continue grow.

Today it is common practice to be asked for our social security number “for identification purposes”. Yet across the bottom of my original social security card that was issued to me in the mid 50's it clearly states “For Social Security Purposes” – “Not For Identification”.

If there's another way I can continue to support the forum please let me know because PayPal and I have parted ways.

Chuck

Things never seem to get easier, do they?

The simple way around the problem is to use a bank account in which you do not carry a large balance and associate it with your PayPal account. Carry a low balance and if PayPal decides to freeze everything, you're not out much. I only keep enough on deposit with PayPal to pay the bills each month and the bank account tied to that PayPal account only has enough of a balance to meet my bank's minimum required balance.

Option number 2 is to simply open a new PayPal account with a new e-mail address. You can open a Gmail account in a matter of seconds. (I'm seeing hordes of spammers on all of the sites, and all of them are getting pounded with new Gmail registrations. I finally locked out new Gmail registrations on the Rod Refuge site, as it was becoming too big a mess to handle.)

If you have just had your fill with PayPal, I can certainly understand that position. They restricted my account a week or so back and wanted me to jump through some security hoops to get the restrictions lifted. :rolleyes: I guess it's not the end of the world, as my Twitter account was just cracked, over this past weekend. But it's still a pain in the tail.

If you want to send a check via your bank's online bill pay system, I can get you a number you can use to associate with the payment. If you want to send a cashier's check or a money order, we can do those, as well. Let me know if any of these options work for you and I will get you the mailing address you will need. I can manually add offline payments to the Donation Tracker, so it's no a big deal at all.

I know it would make life easier, but I no longer accept personal checks. The sockpuppet decided he wanted to take that personally, but I assure you it is not a reflection on any particular individual/s. Other than those individuals who wrote me these bad checks, still sitting here on my desk. If someone sends me a $10.00 check and it bounces, my bank charges me a $10.00 fee for the re-deposit attempt. Even if the check clears on the second attempt, then all I have done is break even. If the check gets kicked a second time, then I'm out the sawbuck. I've a little over $260 in bad checks sitting here and they are a glaring reminder to me, every time I see them.

Let me know.

Mike, I do pay bills online, I don't need any kind of a number just your name and address. The bank will issue a check to you after first drawing the funds out of my account so you know it will be good. If you PM me the information I need I will have them issue you a check.

Chuck

I have an ebay account that I only use for ebay and keep about $500 in it to keep from getting charged by the bank.

I use a PayPal account and, like Mike says, I never have more than a couple hundred dollars in it.

By the way, are you sure that was really PayPal asking for bank information? I suppose it could be, but it sure sounds like a phishing operation to me.

I also have to wonder if that was really paypal.

I opened a checking accnt just for paypal use, and keep a minimum balance in it. that's worked well for me for the 6-8 years that I've had the accnt. for times when I want to use a credit card for an online purchase, I also have a credit card just for that purpose with a low limit. the bank knows what it's for and never raises the limit on that card.

Russ

I use a PayPal account and, like Mike says, I never have more than a couple hundred dollars in it.

By the way, are you sure that was really PayPal asking for bank information? I suppose it could be, but it sure sounds like a phishing operation to me.

Ditto on this one.
It kinda sounds like a phishing expedition.
I get emails on occasion asking for more info or my account will be locked.
I never answer them and my account has never been locked.

I can assure you that it was PayPal I was speaking with, I initiated the phone call after my donation to the forum was rejected. My thinking may be wrong but can anyone tell me why everything was OK just having a credit card linked to my account for 9 years then suddenly it wasn't. When did they begin this crap about having a lifetime spending limit of $7000.00 unless they have your banking information? Could one of you give me one logical reason why they suddenly need my banking information or I have to accept a PayPal Mastercard from them in order to unlock my account? Their explanation was that they needed it so they could be sure I was really me............seriously, after 9 years they're suddenly concerned that I'm really me?

For those that still think it may not have been PayPal I was dealing with my account was closed per my request immediately after I got off the phone with them and I received an email confirming it.

I can assure you that it was PayPal I was speaking with, I initiated the phone call after my donation to the forum was rejected. My thinking may be wrong but can anyone tell me why everything was OK just having a credit card linked to my account for 9 years then suddenly it wasn't. When did they begin this crap about having a lifetime spending limit of $7000.00 unless they have your banking information? Could one of you give me one logical reason why they suddenly need my banking information or I have to accept a PayPal Mastercard from them in order to unlock my account? Their explanation was that they needed it so they could be sure I was really me............seriously, after 9 years they're suddenly concerned that I'm really me?

For those that still think it may not have been PayPal I was dealing with my account was closed per my request immediately after I got off the phone with them and I received an email confirming it.

Yep I went through the same thing with them. It is not some scam. They want your bank info so when your Ebay fees are due and you don' have enough in your Paypal to cover those fees, they just help themselves to your bank account.

I can assure you that it was PayPal I was speaking with, I initiated the phone call after my donation to the forum was rejected.

Opps , yeah , I read that part but for some reason my brain chose not to accept it.
I now understand your frustration a bit better.

Yep I went through the same thing with them. It is not some scam. They want your bank info so when your Ebay fees are due and you don' have enough in your Paypal to cover those fees, they just help themselves to your bank account.

Yes Ron, it is a beautiful thing for Paypal isn't it? However, they do provide a nice service, my wife does a lot of ebay sales and it makes it easy to get and send money, a so called necessary evil.

And unfortunately, 'necessary evil' says it all. As soon as something better comes along, everyone will move to it. And how long have we been waiting, already? PayPal is not 100% ideal in all instances, but name me something that is.

As I said before, associate your PayPal account with a bank account you do not carry a large balance in. I pay all the site's expenses with PayPal and have never had any need to use a credit card for any of them. Not even once.

I could always spend more money for an SSL certificate and get set up with a bank to accept credit cards, which costs even more money. The banks and merchants of this world would have me hung, drawn and quartered if I were to tell you just how easy it is to use credit cards to order things and never pay a red cent for any of them. Knowing how easy it is to beat, I really don't care to set myself up for any of those problems.

So I live with the 'necessary evil'.

I've had a PayPal account since 2002, today I tried to make another donation to the forum and it was rejected by PayPal (not the credit card company linked to it). It seems that I've reached my spending limit. I don't use the account very often, maybe a couple of times a year and I always pay the linked credit card balance off in full every month so what happened?

It seems that over the 9 years I had the account I've reached my spending limit of $7000.00. In other words I've charged $7000.00 worth of merchandise over a 9 year period using PayPal. They made their commission on the purchases, never had a problem with my account or with getting paid. Years ago they sent me a security card that generates a security code when I'm using the account so they know it's really me but now they are saying that after 9 years they don't really know who I am, they need more information.

If I want to unlock my account so I can continue to use it they need my “banking information” which they will get when hell freezes over or I have to open a “Mastercard account” with them (I don't need a second Mastercard), again when hell freezes over.

The site warns us about identity theft but continues to prod us for more and more personal information and we must be giving it to them because they continue grow.

Today it is common practice to be asked for our social security number “for identification purposes”. Yet across the bottom of my original social security card that was issued to me in the mid 50's it clearly states “For Social Security Purposes” – “Not For Identification”.

If there's another way I can continue to support the forum please let me know because PayPal and I have parted ways.

Chuck
Chuck please send any email you get like that to PayPal. Anytime an email or text asks for personal or banking info, it's SCAM.
Use spoof@ paypal.com

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back