Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Old Fart new to site but not Hot Rods

racenitro

Banned
New to the site so I'll say hello.

Been around Hot Rods since 1965. Built my first street rod in 1968. 1936 Dodge P/U with 283 3spd.
Built racing engines and carbs in college to pay for my pleasures between 1965 and 70. Wrenched on several Modified Production and Gas class drag cars. Bought first race car in 1971 1948 Anglia C/G 327 Hilborn Injected with clutch flite. Soon upgraded to A/FD and raced this for several years in mid 70's. One of first AA/DA dragsters in 1975. Restored Corvettes and continued to build engines between 77 and 90. Found my way to the tower at Gateway International Raceway and became their announcer and started working for NHRA as a tech official. Moved to Midamerica Raceway until 1999 and worked for NHRA Div V as tech official and also all National Events. Did almost everything at D5 and was fuel analyst (ran Gas Chromatogaph and developed fuel temperature correction charts that they now use everywhere) Also teched Alcohol Dragsters and Funny Cars, competition eliminator and Pro Mod. Retired in 2003 and continued with corvettes. Moved to mustangs several years back and have now acquired a T-Bucket that sat for 26 years. About 75% done on a COMPLETE rebuild. A little difficult trying to figure out who made some of the parts and correcting problems such as a severely bent rear axle housing, junk radiator, missing brake parts, front caliper mfgr and bent rods in engine to name a few.
Chassis is rolling again and body is painted ready to be mounted. Still waiting on engine parts so I can finish the rebuild. Came with 6 duces..... but no linkage.... decided a single 700cfm on a single plane will work just fine.

I know...just line an old geezer....talk too much.

By the look of that resume you'll be a great asset to this site. Welcome aboard.

Jim

Welcome to the site. I wrenched on a Division 3 Comp car for a lot of years, but we only ran 5 on a couple of occasions (Topeka), so I never really got to meet any of you fellows. But it's always good to see someone with such a rich drag racing background come on board.

Welcome from S.E. Michigan. We can always use a new knowledgeable member.--Man that's a long word.

Welcome aboard. You seem very knowledgeable, so I'm not sure how much we can help. I have an old build myself and tracking things down is half the fun. What engine did you say you have?

Mike:
Who did you wrench for? I worked all National events for many years as well as D-5...Know a lot of D-3 Comp racers Steve Ambrose, Dave Billingsly(sp?) , Fred Allen, Robert Bailey, Bo Butner, Brian Browell, Glen Treadwell, Brian Olsen, and others. Roomed with Ron Cook many times at National Events.

Raodmaster:

The Bucket has a 350 punched 60...4 bolt block...came with 6-duces but putting a 700 Holley back on it.....

Former owner was a real wing-nut....says he ran the car 26 years back...can't figure out how it did not come apart since NO. 6 rod was bent...looks like a hydraulic....
That discovery has lead to new rods, checking the block...and heads for cracks..... and checking the pistons too.

The crank appears OK...run out is only .001 so I don't believe it is hurt.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back