Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

new from Indiana

Shannon

I'm joining this forum as I'm seriously considering building my first T-Bucket. The wife does pinstriping and airbrushing and is 100% invested in the build as well; so it's an 'empty nest' project for us. My current plan is to start with a SpeedwayMotors kit and build from there, maybe starting in the spring/summer of 2012 (I have some prep work to do, facilities & such). I expect this to be about a 4-5 year project, although I don't really have my full game plan or financials written out yet. I've read most projects fail due to lack of planning, running out of time, money or energy. So I'm going to plan allowing for this things; hopefully avoid the abandon-project scenario...

My intent is 'pure Ford' front to back, top to bottom (Ford Racing crate motor, 302 or 351, AOD, etc). I also intend to do everything possible myself, hiring out as little as possible. That means learning a lot, acquiring tools I don't have, and asking lots of questions of folks that have done this before and are far more skilled/experienced than I. I'm not a mechanic (at all), but in my younger years I did lots of modifications to my 66 Mustang, I did rebuild a motor in a 1956 International pickup truck and recently installed a Kenne Bell supercharger in my 2006 Roush Mustang (well, me & the wife) and a Procharger in my sons V6 2005 Mustang. So I think I can do this, if I take my time.

I'll be lurking on this forum, trolling for information. I'll try to not ask everyone completely stupid questions, but I'm new to this, so that will likely happen anyway...

Welcome. I think as you look around at the builds here, you'll realise that there are no dumb questions. You're on the right track by knowing that planning can make a great build play out easy. Planning let's you decide what "look" you want and lets you form a budget. So... keep checking in, see what's going on and have fun. These cars are all about fun.

Take a close look at the kits that the sponsors on here sell, they have excellent products and good prices. If I were starting over I would select an extended body, you would have a lot more room. Oh by the way :welcome:

002-2.jpg

Ford in a Ford ... dare to be different!

Welcome, I'm looking forward to seeing your build. :ciao:

I agree with francis blake our sponsors have excellent products. Believe me you won't regret that decision.

Welcome from another Indiana Bucketeer! I'm here in Indy, and both Dad and I have '27's and are building a '23 early 60's style for my Uncle. Don't be afraid to ask questions to this bunch. there is a lot of good friendly experience here and less of the 'attitude'.

As for the "Ford in a Ford", that is the way to go in my opinion--but hey, I'm a solid Ford guy! :nod: My '27 has a mild 302, with Windsor Jr. heads and dual quads.

:welxome:

And welcome from another Hoosier. I'm in Lafayette.

As everyone has mentioned, don't hesitate to ask questions. We have a great bunch of people here, with a collective knowledge that likely cannot be rivaled. Which means you should always be able to get answers you can use.

This site could well be your most valuable tool. Welcome. Bring on the questions. Remember we all started with out any knowledge. This site and your desire could catch you up in a hurry.

Ron

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back