Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Iowa checking In

Unfortunately, old tires do not carry any cachet other than being old. They're unsafe and only good for museum viewing.
Thanks. It was worth a try, you don't know if you don't ask.
But, if there's a museum out there or a trailer queen that needs some period authentic tires...

Unfortunately, old tires do not carry any cachet other than being old. They're unsafe and only good for museum viewing.
Right. I have seen guys buy them for nostalgia, but they are unsafe to drive on. I will say that the old tires last much longer than the new garbage that are engineered to disintegrate and rot. Epa mandated this to prevent them from lasting as long in landfills, at least that’s the advertised logic. From my perspective, it makes zero sense. It just forces many more tires to be produced and disposed of.. if they really cared about “green” matters, beyond green backs, they would actually figure out a viable method of recycling tires. I learned a great deal about the lunacy related to this topic in the process of attempting to responsibly dispose of a massive pile of tires abandoned on some property that I dealt with.

Right. I have seen guys buy them for nostalgia, but they are unsafe to drive on. I will say that the old tires last much longer than the new garbage that are engineered to disintegrate and rot. Epa mandated this to prevent them from lasting as long in landfills, at least that’s the advertised logic. From my perspective, it makes zero sense. It just forces many more tires to be produced and disposed of.. if they really cared about “green” matters, beyond green backs, they would actually figure out a viable method of recycling tires. I learned a great deal about the lunacy related to this topic in the process of attempting to responsibly dispose of a massive pile of tires abandoned on some property that I dealt with.
There must be a lot of truth in that. We can see from a little discoloration where they sat flat for probably at least 30 years and no cracking or stress fractures, and there is a minor flat spot on each tire...the tires still had the little nubs sticking out. The story from the owner's brother was he trailered to shows and just drove to his spot. Which we believe to be true by the lack of bluing to the chrome headers and 3 miles on the odometer. Remember Mobile oils Million-mile oil?

What did you end up doing with all those tires?

There must be a lot of truth in that. We can see from a little discoloration where they sat flat for probably at least 30 years and no cracking or stress fractures, and there is a minor flat spot on each tire...the tires still had the little nubs sticking out. The story from the owner's brother was he trailered to shows and just drove to his spot. Which we believe to be true by the lack of bluing to the chrome headers and 3 miles on the odometer. Remember Mobile oils Million-mile oil?

What did you end up doing with all those tires?
The cords shift inside the tires... they become unstable and are unable to be balanced. As for the tires, all I can say publicly is that I sincerely attempted to abide by the rules to recycle or dispose of them, but the rules are ludicrous and make it absolutely unreasonable and practically impossible for a layperson to do. There are ridiculous rules about how many you can legally haul, the recycling plant is absolutely unaffordable, they require numerous permits, etc, and there is no one to assist you. There is no incentive to do it. It’s understandable, but unacceptable, why people illegally dump them, which was what I was dealing with. I did learn that they basically cut them in three pieces and dump them in the demolition landfill by the millions.... green, right? It costs as much per tire to take them to the grinder as the tire shop charges you for disposal, no matter how many. Our local tire shop built a machine to shear them into pieces and hauls them to the landfill when they get their dump truck full. I negotiated a deal with them, but the rules related to how many tires can be hauled made that attempt infeasible. I know of a situation where a construction company owner bought some equipment at auction, including two semi trailers that were pad locked. When they cut the locks off, they were full of tires, top to bottom, front to rear. I’m pretty sure they were buried on a job site. I was not in any way affiliated with that situation apart from knowing the owner of the company.

Last edited:
There’s a garbage dump near where I live. They allow you to drop off used tires as long as it’s just the tire. No rim! They charge $5 per car tire. A little more for truck tires. That’s not a bad deal. If you go to a tire shop, they charge more to dispose of your old tires. I guess it’s reasonable as long as you don’t let the junk tires pile up. Otherwise, it could get expensive!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back