Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Iowa checking In

fitdtgokromit

Picked up a 70's style Bucket from an estate auction last year. Sat covered for 42 years, auctioneer said the motor turned but did not know if it would run...

First, welcome! Glad to have you with us.

What motor is in your T-bucket? There are some ways to nurse an old engine back to life after a long hibernation, but it must be done with care.

First, welcome! Glad to have you with us.

What motor is in your T-bucket? There are some ways to nurse an old engine back to life after a long hibernation, but it must be done with care.

Looks like a 72 350 four bolt main (appears drive train came out of a Z-28), double hump heads, balances & blue printed, venolia pistons, crane cam, solid roller lifters, rev kit, harland sharp rockers, double hump heads, copper compression rings and head gasket, vortex magneto, blower, and two holley carbs...

Cleaned, replaces all the rubber and plastic, lubed, and primed the galleries.

Nice looking bucket! Let us know how the start up goes.
Thanks! After thinking we got the motor ready, put some gas in the tank, turned the key on and the two blue holley fuel pumps did their job, and all the steel braded fuel lines were rotten, at least two gallons on the floor before we noticed. Replaced those, and then the magneto didn't generate enough spark. So, sent that off to be rebuilt and UPS damaged it on its return. Luckly, I had enough insurance and Spud Miller was able to find a housing to rebuild it. Never set timing for a mag before eventually got it started and it sounded awesome but wouldn't idle. Time to rebuild both carbs. Got it to idle and found coolant seeping out at the same spot on both heads. Pulled the heads and discovered the copper head gaskets, cleaned everything up, did a little tapping to straighten out the gasket, resealed, new head bolts. Set the valve lash of the solid roller lifters (without a camcard) ran well for about three hours. Between the blower and timing gears noise I may have had the wrong lash (loose) or maybe sitting compressed for 42 years may have weakened the springs(?), found two broken springs! Because I didn't have the cam card the local speed shop and a rep from Comp Cams couldn't help me ID them. So many variables...so I took a risky educated guess and got the springs CC had in a kit for a solid roller blown 350. I didn't want to pull the heads to replace all the springs, so I used the old rope trick for every cylinder. Several hours since install and several lash checks and she's running well. Drives good, except for the flat spots on the tires! Thats next, my concern here are the magnesium rims and finding someone that knows what they're doing, heard too many horror stories.

Attachments

• image7 (1).jpeg
    image7 (1).jpeg
    66.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2401.jpg
    IMG_2401.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2318.jpg
    IMG_2318.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2377.jpg
    IMG_2377.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2374.jpg
    IMG_2374.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 13
Those front wheels look like spindle mount Americans. They are very sought after wheels by the old drag car restorers.
The original owner had two buckets, the other was his driver, and this was his show car according to his brother. The other was blue, not much chrome, front brakes, and a 427 Rat with 20k miles on it. The one I got had 3 miles, the chrome on the headers hadn't even turned blued yet. Pretty sure drag racer was his theme, decided to keep it as original as possible. It has a Muncie M-22 rock crusher 4-speed, and a Strange Engineered 12 bolt geared 3.73

Those front wheels look like spindle mount Americans. They are very sought after wheels by the old drag car restorers.
You think there would be any interest in my old tires (not rims)? They are at least 40 years old but look in great shape. Or direct me to a place to list them...
McCreary 33.0/15.0-15DT
Michelin 135 sr 15 zX Radial (date code 217)

TIA

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back