Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Greetings from Wisconsin

Martin

I have always liked the T bucket, but thats as far as I ever got. The stars appear too be lining up in my favor right now though, so I think I will take the opportunity and start building one. I make my living doing custom woodworking (wood cars and boats) in a shop next to my house, so the body will be all wood. I like the looks of the turtledeck body, so mine will be something at least similar to that, but with doors. Before I can build the body though, I need a chassis. I figure I might as well build that too, so here I am. Havn't been doing much posting, but lots of reading.
Sorry about the avatar, not a T bucket but it is an old Ford, and I did build it.........Back to the books!

Welcome to the site Martin. You're going to like it here. Lots of knowledge and we all thrive on questions.

Hummmm....a '23 Sportsman,huh...sounds interesting. No need to appoligize for the avatar...Those are awesome cars.

Ron

Thanks for joining in the fun! I'm not too familiar with the Sportsman. Can you give some more details and....... as per the house rules... can ya post a few more pics?:rock:

Welcome! I think I would build the body to look like I wanted it to look and fit your body then build the frane to fit the body.

That's good advice ORF. When you're building a one off type of car, it's always advisable to build the body first. However, you also want to keep the frame in mind so you don't complicate it's design.

Ron

Martin said:
I have always liked the T... so the body will be all wood. I like the looks of the turtledeck body, so mine will be something at least similar to that, but with doors. Before I can build the body though, I need a chassis. I figure I might as well build that too, so here I am...

Welcome Martin...

I can't even begin to express how excited I am to watch you build a wood body T-bucket! A friend of mine up here in the Seattle area is building one... more of a C-cab... but not... Here are some recent pics entered in a show in the unfinished class...

2soerb08eS9OmW0DUgfTgETwdZsBTxRI7NjX70mEE2GxbVWsyIH13q6llNJsbYVqQn6Q1KCvS97iEFqw1wVTB3dIL5xGEINJRcbTEA5L9Z4

GpdpO2yvpr6zXOVAmW20hp5KkGrznWdq7sQUst3PHc1hPARY7_TWL6A8-AKgAml8cyzy2DtddM4ZpEbLTyfIO67pNPb7PoSse4ot5R-gBmg

Anyway, I'd love to see more pictures of the ford... you have a photo gallery on it somewhere? As far as the Aviator goes... LOVE IT!

Al, that's an awesome T. The chassis is simply outstanding. Is he a poster here? If not, for God sake why not?

Ron

:lol: Welcome Martin, the avatar is fine but lets see more pics. :D

Thanks to everyone!
Youngster: I downloaded your frame plans, thanks. I found them to be well written and easy to follow. I have a friend who owns a metal fab shop, I will have to stop by and do some shoping. Regarding building the body first, I am more confident in my ability to fit the wood around the metal than I am in my ability to fit the metal to the wood. My plan was to set up the chassis with engine and metal firewall, then build from there back with wood. I have some questions about frame length and a few other things, but those are for other posts.
I was looking around on the NTBA site (I signed up while there) and ran across the pictures of Ceec's car. Looks like he's doing a really nice job, looks like some upholstery and varnish is about all thats left. I'm sure he'll post pictures of the finished car, looking forward to seing them.
The car in my avatar is an original restoration of a 47 Sportsman, I have lots of pictures but they are not organized yet. I am working on a website which will have those plus pictures of other projects. I am finishing up another Sportsman now, this one a street rod, here's a link to an album of that project.
http://www.flickr.com/gp/9019172@N06/YC81ZR

I'd include a link to the website but their's not much to look at there yet anyway, and it might be too shameless a plug to get away with :eek:.
I was going to put a picture or two here but I am something of a knuckle dragger with computers, and havn't figured out how yet..............

Youngster said:
Al, that's an awesome T. The chassis is simply outstanding. Is he a poster here? If not, for God sake why not?

Ron

When he gets back in town, I'm going over to do some glass work for him... I'll make sure he gets an invite to Fred's ... oops I mean T-Bucket Forum! :lol:

I really enjoy viewing the work of a true craftsman. Truly a beautiful piece of work.

Man, the pics of that Sportsman are great! Lots of excellent work you're doing. I commend you. There's something about the look of wood. I love it.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back