Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Fuel Guage Question

spartacus

I have an exposed fuel tank but no gauge. Is there any way to get fuel gauge easily?

Attachments

• IMG_0363.JPEG
    IMG_0363.JPEG
    668.9 KB · Views: 9
I have the same kind of tank, though not exposed. I cut a hole to the right of the filler neck to mount a "universal" fuel gauge sending unit on top of the tank. I used a rubber gasket to seal up the hole, and since it's on top of the tank, above the fuel level, there is no leakage. I wired it to the fuel gauge on the dash and it works fine for me.

(PS - I had to bend the mounting flange slightly to match the curvature of the tank.)

Fuel sending unit.jpgFuel gauge sending unit.jpg

Last edited:
I have the same kind of tank, though not exposed. I cut a hole to the right of the filler neck to mount a "universal" fuel gauge sending unit on top of the tank. I used a rubber gasket to seal up the hole, and since it's on top of the tank, above the fuel level, there is no leakage. I wired it to the fuel gauge on the dash and it works fine for me.

(PS - I had to bend the mounting flange slightly to match the curvature of the tank.)

View attachment 24914View attachment 24915

Thanks for the response. I guess I could do this, it doesn't look too bad. I wonder if anyone knows of other options though that are a bit more hidden?

+
You can mark up a stick and use it to check fuel level. Also if you have trip meter on your speedo you can use that to monitor when you need fuel.

Another option, if you don’t want to cut/drill the top of your tank, is a gas cap with the float and gauge built in. You won’t be about to see your fuel level without looking over your shoulder but you would not need to make any modifications. The caps come in different lengths. You would need to make sure it fit your tank, otherwise it is screw on and go.

How about a sight glass on the side of tank?
I’m curious as to how a gas gauge works in a round tank. I would think the only accurate reading would be half full. Anything above or below 1/2 would not be accurate.

I set the trip meter every time I fuel up on my bike. I know how many miles before I need fuel. I’ve traveled across the country using that method.

I’m curious as to how a gas gauge works in a round tank. I would think the only accurate reading would be half full. Anything above or below 1/2 would not be accurate.
The float follows the fuel level regardless of the tank shape. What you do need to be aware of is the indicated fuel level drops more quickly near the top/bottom of the tank. When my fuel level reaches 1/4 tank indicated, I start looking for a gas station!

(PS - As others have said, keeping track of mileage is also smart.)

Last edited:
Spanky, that was my point exactly. The gauge would give a general idea that there is gas in the tank but not exactly how much.

Another option, if you don’t want to cut/drill the top of your tank, is a gas cap with the float and gauge built in. You won’t be about to see your fuel level without looking over your shoulder but you would not need to make any modifications. The caps come in different lengths. You would need to make sure it fit your tank, otherwise it is screw on and go.
Where do I find something like that? or what is it called so I can hunt it down?

Thanks, I'll give it a shot :)
Here's one possibility . . .

So, in researching that part, I found out it's a screw on cap and not a twist on. I'm trying to find a twist on cap instead. Let me know if you happen to come across one, that'd be awesome.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back