Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

New Member of Forum From NJ

Hello Folks,
Glad to see the forum back up and running!
Question....How realistic is it these days to be able to find engines, parts, and associated stuff to follow any of the plans like Chester's or anything else that I've seen on the TBucket plans site? I'm fairly mechanically oriented/inclined, I've been involved in competitive Karting for about 8-10 years and I'm gettin' to old to race weekends and then go to work on Monday morning!
The idea of selling all my kart gear and building a T Bucket to cruise to Hamburger stands with my Girlfriend (who is also an old school type motorhead) would be really cool...
I've got some friends who have offered to help with welding/fabricating some stuff, and I would like to keep the project as inexpensive and "hands-on" as I can...
I would be looking to perhaps purchase a bare bones frame and go from there...
Looking to eventually wind up with something on the lines of TV Tommy's original T Bucket or closer to the Torsion T from the Doris Day movie...
Doesn't have to have a Vette V-8, as I'm just looking more for "show" than HP go...

Anyway, I'll be doing lots of research everywhere to try and figure out if it is do-able, and any insight, advise, or otherwise will be appreciated!
Thanks for reading!
Franz in NJ

Welcome aboard. May I suggest that you check out Ron Pope of RPM or the folks at Spirit for all you needs. They are both responsible for getting this site back up and running and they both have a good track record in helping to get you on the road in your T.

Jim

Reactions: RPM
Franz: Its definitely doable on a tight budget if you have some skills and are willing to put in the effort. No, you can't build one for $2k, but you can for $10k. We have a couple pic-a-parts here in Indy and you can pick up a lot of pieces for reasonable. On our last build, we picked up the rear axle, drive shaft, emergency brake, seat, and other parts cheap. The axle was less than $100. While we had a long block 283 Chevy already, the intake, valve covers, carb, and other accessories was picked up at swap meets. Even our front axle/spindles were from a early F1 pickup that we paid about $75 for. Look at Craigslist as well as we found some good deals on used stuff that just needs some cleaning and painting.

Other parts can be sourced from Speedway, Autozone, Summit Racing, and some of the T-Bucket guys like Spirit and RPM. Bodies can be bought inexpensively if you are OK with putting in some bodywork time.

Check out some of the build on here. Our last one is here: http://www.tbucketeer.com/threads/purple-powder-pickup.14628/ . We have about $8,500 in the car once the interior is finished, however the engine was free, we traded work for the trans, and we did our own powder coating. So that would bring you to about 10K.

Thanks folks for the warm welcome and ideas...Looks like RPM is on the East Coast, which may work out in my favor...
I've seen some build threads before, they mention getting a bare bucket body first, then mocking up a frame out of wood before ordering a frame...Is that still a good idea?
Guess I'll start a thread soon in the "Projects" section!
Thanks again for the welcome, and Have a Happy Thanksgiving All!
Franz in NJ

You should get some frame plans--some are free and decide what style of build you want. Research every thing you can. You don't need tons of horsepower in these things anyway. Ron Pope has good deals and so does Spirit . Get a hand lay-up body. Chopper guns can't keep consitant thickness. We're all here to help.

You should get some frame plans--some are free and decide what style of build you want. Research every thing you can. You don't need tons of horsepower in these things anyway. Ron Pope has good deals and so does Spirit . Get a hand lay-up body. Chopper guns can't keep consitant thickness. We're all here to help.
Thanks, I've already got three frame plans downloaded CCR, Chesters plans, youngsters, and Ohio Bucket Tees, oops that's 4!
Are the bodies from RPM and Spirit hand lay ups? I'm thinking a stretched body as me andmy ggirlfriend are longer leg versions. ..How much extra chassis length for a stretched t bucket?
Thanks
Franz in NJ

Our bodies are all hand laid, the stretch is 10". The stretch body can be had with or with out a door. They are the same price $599.00 plus shipping, and we get some really good prices on shipping.

Welcome to the forum from northern Illinois.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back