Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Kit Car Rego Recinded?

AusBucket

G'Day Guys,
A forum I'm on here in Australia has had a post put up stating that the State Authorities in Texas have cancelled the rego on all Kit Cars and ICV's (Individually Constructed Vehicles). Thought I'd ask on here if that is true as a lot of you are a LOT closer to the situation than me.
Regards,
Mike.

The basis for this was the "off-road" nature of rails and buggies. I actually read through the Texas's assembled vehicle manual after reading an article on this and actually found texas very clear and specific on the manner to license and title a hot rod type vehicle. The manual gives specifics and examples unlike many states. The manual is very clear the rails and buggies are not allowed to be titled. From my understanding this was not enforced very well in the past and they are cleaning it up. Based on the Texas document I read, I don't think you guys with T's have to worry- unless perhaps you have a Volks-Rod! I think this is a case of the story being blown out of proportion by folks who haven't taken the time to read the Texas rules and statutes.

That sucks. I was into Sand Rails for a summer, back in the 80's. Never thought of them as a street vehicle and still don't.

While I hope that Ben's optimism is the way of the future , I can't help but be a bit paranoid over this legslative move. Especially when such loose definitions like "safety equipment " w/no definition & "as seen by inspectors " w/o parameters are used. Case in point , when the 30ish guy next to me in the gas station says " Nice dune buggy" I can't help but be concerned that NON car people are defineing things as THEY see them...

Okay, here's why I'm not worried. One of the perimeters for a "home built" vehicle to get a title here is that the body must resemble the make and model it's trying to get titled as. A fiber glass T Bucket resembles a Model T. A fiber glass Deuce resembles a 1932 Ford. A "Dune buggy" or "sand rail" doesn't resemble anything made by ANY major automotive manufacturer. That's the HUGE difference and those are what this law or policy is aimed at. It's pretty simple and I can't see why people are so concerned about it.

Sand rails, Dune Buggys and ATV are considered "off road recreational vehicles" and as such are not meant to be driven on the street. Now, if a person walks into the DMV and tells them you need to title a "T Bucket", you may get a weird look and have to explain what that is. If you say it's a 1923 Ford, it's an old car. Knowing what to say and how to present it can make a world of difference. The Dune Buggy and Sand Rail crowd are damned by the very name of their vehicles. No major manufacturer made a "Dune Buggy" or "Sand Rail".

I can understand the concern and anger those guys have. I was into them in the early 80's. But even then, they were considered off road vehicles and if you drove one on the street, you took a chance of being stopped, if the cop was in the mood. If you chop up a 1972 VW bug and make it a Dune Buggy, you title it as a 1972 VW, NOT a Dune Buggy. So, with that, I'm done with the issue. It doesn't really concern me or my car.

I'm a little concerned, give the legislators an inch... dune buggies this week whats on the chopping block next week? Not even keeping the existing ones but any and all revoked? United we stand, divided we fall ! There's a story some where where the people weren't concerned about something effecting other people until it was their turn, then it was too late! Don't forget, it seems the government and insurance co. want self driving cars!

Okay, here's why I'm not worried. One of the perimeters for a "home built" vehicle to get a title here is that the body must resemble the make and model it's trying to get titled as. A fiber glass T Bucket resembles a Model T. A fiber glass Deuce resembles a 1932 Ford. A "Dune buggy" or "sand rail" doesn't resemble anything made by ANY major automotive manufacturer. That's the HUGE difference and those are what this law or policy is aimed at. It's pretty simple and I can't see why people are so concerned about it.

Sand rails, Dune Buggys and ATV are considered "off road recreational vehicles" and as such are not meant to be driven on the street. Now, if a person walks into the DMV and tells them you need to title a "T Bucket", you may get a weird look and have to explain what that is. If you say it's a 1923 Ford, it's an old car. Knowing what to say and how to present it can make a world of difference. The Dune Buggy and Sand Rail crowd are damned by the very name of their vehicles. No major manufacturer made a "Dune Buggy" or "Sand Rail".

I can understand the concern and anger those guys have. I was into them in the early 80's. But even then, they were considered off road vehicles and if you drove one on the street, you took a chance of being stopped, if the cop was in the mood. If you chop up a 1972 VW bug and make it a Dune Buggy, you title it as a 1972 VW, NOT a Dune Buggy. So, with that, I'm done with the issue. It doesn't really concern me or my car.
Very well said, Fred.

Jim

I'm a little concerned, give the legislators an inch... dune buggies this week whats on the chopping block next week? Not even keeping the existing ones but any and all revoked? United we stand, divided we fall ! There's a story some where where the people weren't concerned about something effecting other people until it was their turn, then it was too late! Don't forget, it seems the government and insurance co. want self driving cars!
Dune buggys are as safe as any tbucket I've seen... just sayin. And yes, I own both.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back